Women Of Troy Upset 9th-Ranked Cal
April 21, 2001
LOS ANGELES -- The 15th-ranked USC women's tennis closed out the 2001 regular season with a 5-2 upset victory over No. 9 Cal Saturday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
With the win, the Women of Troy improve to 17-7 overall, 5-2 in the Pac-10 and finish second in conference standings. Cal drops to 14-6 overall and 4-5 in the Pac-10.
USC opened the afternoon by winning two of three doubles matches. Despite losing at center court, the Trojans' Melissa Esmero and Anita Loyola captured an 8-4 win at No. 2, and Maureen Diaz and Bernadette Bayani followed with an 8-6 win at No. 3.
With the doubles point in hand, the Women of Troy earned the next two points with two-set victories at courts five and six. Cal responded with a 6-1, 2-6, 7-6 win by Raquel Kops-Jones over Loyola at No. 2 to bring the score to 3-1. At No. 4, USC's Tiffany Brymer clinched the match for the Trojans by adding the fourth point with a third-set tiebreaker victory (6-2, 3-6, 7-6) over the Bears' Jieun Jacobs.
Cal added its final point as Christina Fusano defeated Jewel Peterson 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 at No. 1, and USC's Diaz won the final match 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 over Catherine Lynch.
USC now prepares for the Pac-10 Tournament to be held in Ojai, Calif., April 26-29.
USC 5, Cal 2
(1) Kurimay/Kops-Jones (Cal) def. Brymer/Peterson (USC) - 8-4
(2) Esmero/Loyola (USC) def. Fusano/Grant (Cal) - 8-4
(3) Diaz/Bayani (USC) def. Havlicek/Lynch (Cal) - 8-6USC wins doubles point
(1) Christina Fusano (Cal) def. Jewel Peterson (USC) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
(2) Raquel Kops-Jones (Cal) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 6-1, 2-6, 7-6
(3) Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Catherine Lynch (Cal) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
(4) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Jieun Jacobs (Cal) - 6-2, 3-6, 7-6
(5) Bernadette Bayani (USC) def. Sekita Grant (Cal) - 6-1, 6-2
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) Nicole Havlicek (Cal) - 6-7, 6-1, 6-0
Wed 1/25 | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 1/26 | 6:30pm PTLive