Husky Track Teams Sweep Ohio Quad Meet Titles
May 5, 2001
ATHENS, Ohio--The 2500 mile trip to Ohio was worth it for the Husky track teams as both the men's and women's teams claimed team titles at the quad meet in Athens, Ohio, Saturday and two UW women surpassed NCAA provisional qualifying marks.
Red-shirt freshman Kate Spigel (Albuquerque, N.M.) and sophomore Megan Spriestersbach (Tacoma, Wash.) edged one step closer the NCAA Championships with provisional marks in the steeplechase and javelin respectively en route to winning their events. Spigel finally surpassed the 11:10 barrier in the steeple, a new event for the women this year, while Spriestersbach improved upon her previous provisional qualifying throw by an inch.
Freshman Devin Golob (Vancouver, Wash.) along with juniors Kelsey Sheppard (Kirkland, Wash.) and Zee Ogarro (Inglewood, Calif.) as well as senior Anna Aoki (Vancouver, Wash.) picked up event titles for the Huskies. Golob won the 800m, while Sheppard took the top spot in the 400m hurdles. Ogarro won the long jump as Aoki placed first in the 1500m.
The 4x400-meter relay team also snagged first-place honors.
The UW men won nine event titles en route to their victory over Bowling Green, host Ohio and Kent State.
Freshman Seth Jens (Colstrip, Mont.) tacked on another foot to his season-best javelin toss to win that event, while junior Joel Perry (Deming, Wash.) improved his season-best high jump to take that title. Senior Ja'Warren Hooker snagged the 100 and 200-meter titles, while juniors Morgan Thompson (Spokane, Wash.) and Marcus Kelly (Seattle, Wash./Garfield) won the steeplechase and triple jump respectively. Sophomore Mat Schwinn (Castle Rock, Wash.) brought the Huskies the discus title, while freshman Brad Walker (Spokane, Wash.) captured the pole vault victory. The 4x400 relay team also captured their event title.
The final scores on the men's side were: 1. Washington, 188, 2. Kent State, 178, 3. Ohio, 147, 4. Bowling Green, 133. On the women's side, the final scores were:1. Washington, 184.50, 2. Kent State, 178.50, 3. Ohio, 176, 4. Bowling Green, 114.
Full results from the Ohio Quad meet are available on the web at www.ohiobobcats.com.
The Huskies return to action tomorrow as some individuals will compete in the Jesse Owens Invitational in Columbus, Ohio.
Husky Top Finishers
Ohio Quad meet, Athens, Ohio
*1. Kate Spigel Steeplechase 11:09.75
*1. Megan Spriestersbach Javelin 156-4
1. Devin Golob 800m 2:14.82
1. Anna Aoki 1500m 4:34.33
1. Zee Ogarro Long jump 19-3 1/4
1. Kelsey Sheppard 400m Hurdles 1:00.48
1. 4x400-meter relay team 3:48.36
2. Alexis Jaime Pole vault 11-6
2. Melissa Chapman 800m 2:15.36
2. Chelsie Pentz 100m 12.27
2. Chelsie Pentz 200m 24.81
2. Kameko Gay Hammer 154-6
2. 4x100-meter relay team 46.10
2. Brittiny Roberts Triple jump 37-6
2. Searan Salibian Shot put 41-7
3. Jamara Smith 100m 12.33
3. Tesha Moore 400m 55.84
3. Susan Werner 1500m 4:42.23
3. Courtney Spence 5000m 17:59.83
3. Sarah Peterson 400m Hurdles 1:04.84
3. Kelsey Sheppard 100m Hurdles 14.56
4. Jamara Smith Long jump 18-4 1/4
5. Jamara Smith 200m 25.49
5. Kameko Gay Shot put 38-10
5. Searan Salibian Discus 117-11
6. Brittiny Roberts High jump 5-1
*--NCAA Provisional Qualifying Mark
1. Seth Jens Javelin 208-8
1. Joel Perry High jump 6-11
1. Ja'Warren Hooker 100m 10.51
1. Ja'Warren Hooker 200m 21.07
1. Morgan Thompson Steeplechase 9:29.75
1. 4x400-meter relay team 3:16.49
1. Brad Walker Pole vault 16-6
1. Marcus Kelly Triple jump 47-1 1/2
1. Mat Schwinn Discus 161-1
2. Hendrik Kok 1500m 3:58.64
2. Brad Goodrich 400m Hurdles 53.69
3. Mat Schwinn Hammer 156-3
3. Ben Koss 5000m 15:22.28
3. Tyriff Rudder Long jump 22-2 1/4
3. Doug Jackson Shot put 49-6 1/4
4. Bevan Brian 800m 1:54.31
4. Eric Garner 1500m 4:00.77
4. Marc James 110m Hurdles 14.77
4. Sean Steele High jump 6-9
4. Tyriff Rudder Triple jump 45-0 1/2
5. D'Andrae Alexander 200m 21.99
5. D'Andrae Alexander 100m 11.00
5. Greg Barber 110m Hurdles 14.88
5. Greg Forni 400m 48.71
5. Doug Jackson Discus 137-9
6. Cristian Adams 400m 48.76
6. Brad Goodrich 110m Hurdles 14.89
6. Marc James 400m Hurdles 57.63
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 11:00am PTLive
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive