Washington Tracksters Fare Well at Jesse Owens Invitational
May 6, 2001
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Day two of the Husky track team's visit to Ohio also brought positive results as five individuals improved upon their season-best marks and six won their respective events at the Jesse Owens Invitational in Columbus Sunday.
Red-shirt freshman Kate Spigel (Albuquerque, N.M.), who earned a provisional qualifying mark in the steeplechase at Saturday's Ohio Quad meet in Athens, continued her success taking the 1500m title Sunday. Freshman Devin Golob (Vancouver, Wash.), an event winner in the 800m at the Ohio Quad, again picked up a first-place finish in the event at the Jesse Owens Invite.
Senior Anna Aoki (Vancouver, Wash.) won the 3000m for the Huskies, while sophomore Megan Spriestersbach (Tacoma, Wash.) took the javelin Sunday. Both women were also event winners at the Ohio Quad in the 1500 and javelin respectively.
Red-shirt freshman Brittiny Roberts (Fresno, Calif.) improved her season-best triple jump mark by more than six inches en route to a third-place finish. Junior MerryJane Bendico (Lynnwood, Wash.) tied her season-best pole vault mark for the fifth time this season, while fellow vaulter Margaret Haines (Boise, Idaho) improved her season-best by five inches.
On the men's side, junior Joel Perry (Deming, Wash.) continued his success in the high jump improving his Pac-10 qualifying high jump mark to 6-11 3/4 to win the event title at the Jesse Owens, Sunday. Sophomore D'Andrae Alexander (Sacramento, Calif.) was the other event winner for the UW men, taking the 200m title and improving his season-best mark to 21.90.
Full results from the Jesse Owens Invitational are available on the web at www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com.
Next up on the schedule for the UW teams is the Oregon Twilight meet, Saturday in Eugene. The Pac-10 multi-event championships take place Saturday and Sunday, in Berkeley, Calif., site of the 2001 Pac-10 Championships.
Jesse Owens Invitational, Columbus, Ohio
1. Kate Spigel 1500m 4:46.71
1. Devin Golob 800m 2:17.38
1. Anna Aoki 3000m 9:46.99
1. Megan Spriestersbach Javelin 155-10
3. Brittiny Roberts Triple jump 38-7
3. Susan Werner 800m 2:21.45
5. Zee Ogarro Long jump 18-10 1/2
6. MerryJane Bendico Pole vault 11-5 3/4
6. 4x100-meter relay team 46.77
9. Margaret Haines Pole vault 10-11 3/4
11. Alexis Jaime Pole vault 10-11 3/4
1. Joel Perry High jump 6-11 3/4
1. D'Andrae Alexander 200m 21.90
2. Seth Jens Javelin 196-9
2. Marcus Kelly Triple jump 48-1 1/4
2. D'Andrae Alexander 100m 10.89
2. Anthony Walters 400m 50.31
2. Greg Barber 110m hurdles 14.83
3. 4x400-meter relay team 3:13.09
3. Marc James 110m hurdles 15.86
4. Sean Steele High jump 6-8
4. Josh Robinson Javelin 174-2
5. Mat Schwinn Discus 153-7
7. Bevan Brian 800m 1:58.06
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 2/21 | 7:30pm PTLive
Thu 2/22 | 6:00pm PTLive