No. 24 Trojans Top Virginia, 4-0
May 12, 2001
OXFORD, Miss. - USC's 11th-ranked doubles team of Ryan Moore and Nick Rainey upset Virginia's top-ranked Brian Vahaly and Huntley Montgomery 8-5 to clinch the doubles point and lead USC to a 4-0 victory over Virginia in the first round of the NCAA Men's Tennis Championships Saturday at the Palmer/Salloum Tennis Center. The Trojans will face top seed Ole Miss in the second round Sunday, May 13, at Noon for the right to advance to the Round of 16 in Athens, Ga.
The match began with a win by Virginia at No. 2 doubles, followed by a USC victory at No. 3. doubles, leaving the first point to be decided at center court. Moore and Rainey's win gave USC a 1-0 lead.
'I thought the guys did a good job,' USC head coach Dick Leach said. 'This is a new season, the real season. I was particularly pleased with Andrew Park, even though the match was stopped. Winning that first set was a good effort. Our No. 1 doubles team beating their top-ranked doubles team was probably the turning point in the match.'
The Trojans won the first set in all five singles contests. Ruben Torres dominated UVA's Brian Hunter 6-1, 6-1 at No. 5 singles, then Rainey defeated Mike Duquette 6-4, 6-1 at No. 4 singles to make it a 3-0 Trojan lead. With a 6-3, 6-3 win over Tommy Croker on court three, Damien Spizzo earned the deciding point.
Ole Miss and USC last met in the first round of the 1995 NCAA Championships in Athens, Ga., with the Rebels claiming a 4-3 win.
USC 4, Virginia 0
(1) Rainey/Moore (USC) def. Vahaly/Montgomery (UVA) - 8-5
(2) Croker/Duquette (UVA) def. Park/Spizzo (USC) - 8-3
(3) Collins/Torres (USC) def. Hunter/Jonathon Chou (UVA) - 8-6
USC wins doubles point
(1) Andrew Park (USC) vs. Brian Vahaly (UVA) - did not finish
(2) Ryan Moore (USC) vs. Huntley Montgomery (UVA) - did not finish
(3) Damien Spizzo (USC) def. Tommy Croker (UVA) - 6-3, 6-3
(4) Nick Rainey (USC) def. Mike Duquette (UVA) - 6-4, 6-1
(5) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Brian Hunter (UVA) - 6-1, 6-1
(6) Parker Collins (USC) vs. Jason Romesburg (UVA) - did not finish