Women's Tennis Advances To Sweet 16 With 4-2 Win Over South Carolina
May 13, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. -- For the fifth straight year, the 11th-ranked Arizona State women's tennis team (19-5) will advance to the NCAA Sweet 16 as they defeated 23rd-ranked South Carolina (15-9), 4-2, today in the second round of the NCAA Regional at the Whitman Tennis Center.
South Carolina took the early advantage by winning two of the three doubles matches for the first point. On court No. 3 ASU's Faye DeVera and Adria Engel took the first match by shutting out USC's Catherine Brown and Katarina Markovski, 8-0. USC came back and won on Court No. 2, leaving the doubles point up to the No. 1 court. In an exciting tiebreaker, South Carolina's Kathy Boyanovich and Jennifer Radman defeated 12th-ranked Mhairi Brown and Celena McCoury, 9-8 (6).
In singles action, ASU quickly tied the dual at one apiece when Brown dispatched Tamara Sutton in staright sets, 6-1, 6-2 on the No. 5 court. USC and ASU traded points back and forth as USC claimed the win on the No. 4 court, while ASU's Megan Yeats tied the dual once again as she won on the No. 3 court.
On the No. 1 court, Arizona State All-American Adria Engel put the Sun Devils up 3-2 as she defeated Radman, 7-6 (1), 6-3. With two matches to go, the out come of the final was still in doubt for both teams. However, on the No. 2 court, senior Karin Plame, playing her last match of her four-year career, came from a set down and clicnhed the regional for Arizona State as she defeated Markovski, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4. With the win, the match on court No. 6 was halted with ASU's Cindy Sureephong leading 2-1 in a tight third-set over Leigh Eichelberger.
Up next, the Sun Devils head to Stone Mountain, Georgia to take on the winner of the California/North Carolina dual in the round of 16 on Thursday, May 17.
1. (31) Boyanovich/Radman (USC) def. (12) Brown/McCoury (ASU), 9-8 (6)
2. Eichelberger/Yin Tan (USC) def. (38) Sureephong/Yeats (ASU), 8-3
3. DeVera/Engel (ASU) def. Catherine Brown/Markovski (USC), 8-0
1. (6) Adria Engel (ASU) def. (93) Jennifer Radman (USC), 7-6 (1), 6-3
2. Karin Palme (ASU) def. Katarina Markovski (USC), 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
3. (89) Megan Yeats (ASU) def. Kathy Boyanovich (USC), 7-5, 6-0
4. Lynn Yin Tan (USC) def. Faye DeVera (ASU), 6-1, 6-4
5. Mhairi Brown (ASU) def. Tamara Sutton (USC), 6-1, 6-2
6. Cindy Sureephong (ASU) vs. Leigh Eichelberger (USC), DNF