Women's Tennis Rolls To 4-1 Win Over South Alabama
May 13, 2001
NORFOLK, Va. -- Despite dropping the doubles point, No. 12 USC women's tennis advanced to the NCAA Round of 16 by rallying to a 4-1 victory over No. 22 South Alabama on Sunday at the Old Dominion University Tennis Complex.
The Women of Troy (19-7) will face No. 9 Northwestern in the Round of 16 to be played on May 17 at the Lincoln Tennis Center in Stone Mountain, Ga. This marks the fifth-consecutive season the Trojans have advanced past the second round of the NCAA Championships.
South Alabama (21-6) was the first on the board, earning the doubles point with victories on the second and third courts. The duo of Josien Boverhof and Nienke Scheltens won 8-5 at No. 2, while Silvia Sosnarova and Viktoria Stoklasova collected an 8-3 win at No. 3.
The Women of Troy, however, bounced back and rolled through singles play. USC collected wins at the No. 1, 4, 5, and 6 positions to seal the come-from-behind victory. Jewel Peterson started the rally with a win at center court when South Alabama's Sosnarova retired the match after starting at a 4-0 deficit to Peterson. Tiffany Brymer was the next to add a point with a solid 6-1, 6-1 win over Scheltens. The match was decided as Bernadette Bayani and Melissa Esmero finished simultaneously with 6-4, 6-3 and 7-5, 6-2 victories, respectively, for the USC win.
USC 4, South Alabama 1
(1) Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. Ondrejkova/Puflerova (S. Alabama) - 8-6
(2) Boverhof/Scheltens (S. Alabama) def. Esmero/Loyola (USC) - 8-5
(3) Sosnarova/Stoklasova (S. Alabama) def. Bayani/Diaz (USC) - 8-3
South Alabama wins doubles point.
(1) Jewel Peterson (USC) def. Silvia Sosnarova (S. Alabama) - 4-0, retired
(2) Anita Loyola (USC) vs. Martina Ondrejkova (S. Alabama) - did not finish
(3) Maureen Diaz (USC) vs. Iva Puflerova (S. Alabama) - did not finish
(4) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Nienke Scheltens (S. Alabama) - 6-1, 6-1
(5) Bernadette Bayani (USC) def. Viktoria Stoklasova (S. Alabama) - 6-4, 6-3
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Josien Boverhof (S. Alabama) - 7-5, 6-2