Women's Tennis Bows Out With 4-0 Loss To Georgia
May 18, 2001
STONE MOUNTAIN, Ga. - The 10th-seeded USC women's tennis team (20-8) ended its 2001 NCAA Tournament run with a 4-0 loss to second-ranked and defending champion Georgia in a Quarterfinal match at the Lincoln Tennis Center on Friday afternoon.
With the loss to the Bulldogs, the Women of Troy end the year in the exact manner as last season when Georgia defeated USC 5-1 in the 2000 NCAA Quarterfinals en route to claiming the national championship. The Trojans are 0-6 all-time against the Bulldogs.
USC began the match with identical 8-3 losses at courts two and three to surrender the doubles point and enter singles play down 1-0. The Bulldogs momentum only strengthened as they claimed victories at the No. 6, 4 and 5 positions to secure their fourth-consecutive 4-0 victory in the tournament.
Though the team tournament may be over for the Women of Troy, sophomores Jewel Peterson (singles and doubles), Maureen Diaz (singles alternate) and Tiffany Brymer (doubles) will now await the start of the NCAA Individual and Doubles Championship, May 21-25.
#2 Georgia 4, #10 USC 0
(1) L. Grey/Venkatesan (UGA) vs. Brymer/Peterson (USC) - Incomplete
(2) Hojnik/Cioroch (UGA) def. Loyola/Esmero (USC) - 8-3
(3) C. Grey/Verban (UGA) def. Bayani/Diaz (USC) - 8-3
Georgia wins doubles point
(1) Aarthi Venkatesan (UGA) vs. Jewel Peterson (USC) - Incomplete
(2) Mariel Verban (UGA) vs. Anita Loyola (USC) - Incomplete
(3) Anne Nguyen (UGA) vs. Maureen Diaz (USC) - Incomplete
(4) Agata Cioroch (UGA) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 6-0, 6-4
(5) Lori Grey (UGA) def. Barnadette Bayani (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
(6) Tina Hojnik (UGA) def. Melissa Esmero (USC) - 6-2, 6-0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 11:00am PTLive
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive