This Week in Pac-10 Volleyball (8/27/01)
Aug. 27, 2001
AND AWAY WE GOARIZONA, STANFORD, UCLA and USC RANKED IN PRESEASON POLLS
Early season tournaments monopolize the docket over the next couple of weeks as all Pac-10 teams begin play this weekend. Last year's Pac-10 co-champions USC and ARIZONA hit the USA TODAY/AVCA preseason poll at No. 2 and No. 6 respectively, while UCLA comes in at No. 7 and STANFORD at No. 10.
THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE:
Fri., Aug. 31Arizona vs. South Florida, 12 noon (1)Arizona vs. Marshall, 5:30 p.m. (1)Nevada at Arizona State, 1 p.m. (4)Santa Clara at Arizona State, 5 p.m. (4)California vs. New Hampshire, 5 p.m. (6)Oregon at Texas-Arlington Tourn. (8)San Jose State at Oregon State, 7 p.m. (10)Stanford vs. Minnesota, 10 a.m. (12)Stanford at Virginia, 7:30 p.m. (12)UCLA vs. Michigan, 5 p.m. (14)Washington hosts Husky Tournament (19)Bradley at Washington State, 2 p.m. (21)Boise State at Washington State, 7 p.m. (21)
Sat., Sept. 1Arizona at Florida, 3:30 p.m. (1)Hofstra at Arizona State, 3 p.m. (4)South Carolina at Arizona State, 7 p.m. (4)California vs. Massachusetts, 7 p.m. (6)Oregon at Texas-Arlington Tourn. (8)S. Illinois at Oregon State, 12 noon (10)Sac. State at Oregon State, 7:30 p.m. (10)Stanford vs. Radford, 12 noon (12)UCLA vs. Kansas State, 5 p.m. (14)USC at UC Irvine, 5 p.m. (16)Washington hosts Husky Tournament (19)Gonzaga at Washington State, 12 noon (21)Pacific at Washington State, 7 p.m. (21)
Sun., Sept. 2California at Connecticut, 2 p.m. (6)UCLA at Hawaii, 5 p.m. (14)USC vs. Wisconsin, 3 p.m. (16)
Mon., Sept. 3Oregon at Texas-Pan American, 7 p.m.
USA TODAY/AVCA COACHES (Preseason) 1. Nebraska (63) 2. USC (2) 3. Penn State 4. Wisconsin 5. Hawai'i 6. ARIZONA 7. UCLA 8. Long Beach State 9. Florida 10. STANFORD 11. Brigham Young 12. Pacific 13. UC Santa Barbara 14. Colorado State 15. Minnesota 16. Ohio State 17. Pepperdine 18. Texas A&M 19. Kansas State 20. Notre Dame 21. Utah 22. Santa Clara 23. South Carolina 24. Loyola Marymount 25. Georgia Tech (first place votes)
VOLLEYBALL MAGAZINE(Preseason) 1. Nebraska 2. STANFORD 3. Long Beach State 4. USC 5. Hawai'i 6. Florida 7. Wisconsin 8. Penn State 9. ARIZONA 10. Brigham Young 11. Pacific 12. Pepperdine 13. UCLA 14. UC Santa Barbara 15. Minnesota 16. Colorado State 17. Ohio State 18. South Carolina 19. Notre Dame 20. Utah
THE TOURNAMENTS - As usual, the season gets underway with a variety of tournaments. All Pac-10 teams are participating in tournaments this week, with four serving as tournament hosts. Here's the rundown of tournament action:
(1) University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla. (ARIZONA, Florida, Marshall, South Florida)
(4) Phoenix Airport Hilton/Sun Devil Challenge, Tempe, Ariz. (ARIZONA STATE, Hofstra, Nevada, Santa Clara, South Carolina)
(6) UConn Tournament, Storrs, Conn. (CALIFORNIA, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire)
(8) Texas-Arlington Tournament, Arlington, Texas (OREGON, Texas-Arlington, North Carolina A&T, Arkansas State, Arkansas-Little Rock)
(10) Oregon State Volleyball Showcase, Corvallis, Ore. (OREGON STATE, Sacramento State, San Jose State, Southern Illinois)
(12) Univ. of Virginia Tournament, Charlottesville, Va. (Minnesota, Radford, STANFORD, Virginia)
(14) Hawaii Tournament, Honolulu, Hawaii (Hawaii, Kansas State, Michigan, UCLA)
(16) UC Irvine Tournament, Irvine, Calif. (UC Irvine, USC, Wisconsin)
(19) Husky Tournament, Seattle, Wash. (Brigham Young, Purdue, Texas, WASHINGTON)
(21) Cougar Tournament, Pullman, Wash. (Bradley, Gonzaga, Pacific, WASHINGTON STATE)
THE COACHES PICK. . .
In a vote of the Pac-10 coaches, here's how they predict the 2001 Pac-10 race
(first place votes in parentheses):
1. USC (6) 87 2. Stanford (4) 84 3. Arizona 72 4. UCLA 69 5. Washington St. 55 6. Arizona State 52 7. California 41 8. Oregon State 32 9. Oregon 28 10. Washington 20
WHAT'S NEW - After spending the last two seasons with Team USA, USC's Mick Haley takes over full time for the Trojans. John Dunning takes over at Stanford, while Jim McLaughlin steps in at Washington. . . The other Pac-10 teams should take note - the three new coaches have a combined record of 1041-282-1 (.787), with four national titles. . . UCLA senior Kristee Porter needs 177 kills to become the Pac-10's career leader in kills, while senior teammate Erika Selsor needs 567 assists to become the Pac-10's career leader in assists. . . Arizona's David Rubio needs eight victories to reach 300 career wins, Arizona State's Patti Snyder-Park needs nine wins to reach 200 career victories, while UCLA's Andy Banachowski is just two wins shy of 900 career victories.