Women's Cross Country Wins Roy Griak Invitational Title; Men Place Eighth
Sept. 29, 2001
ST. PAUL, Minn. - For the second time in three years, Arizona State's women's cross country team won the Gold 6,000-meter race title at the Roy Griak Invitational at the Les Bolstad Golf Course in St. Paul, Minn., Saturday. The women combined for 109 points in the prestigious annual meet hosted by the University of Minnesota, while the ASU men tallied 267 points to place eighth in the Gold 8,000-meter competition.
Both ASU teams had two of the top three finishers in each race, as seniors Lisa Aguilera (20:34.2) and Kelly MacDonald (20:37.2) took second and third on the women's side, while sophomore Juan Reyes (24:12.6) and junior Fasil Bizuneh (24:13.7) finished two-three, respectively, on the men's side.
ASU's women, who won their first Roy Griak title in 1999, were led by Aguilera's third-straight runner-up finish at the meet. Washington's Sabrina Monro won the women's individual title. Defending champ Tara Chaplin of Arizona finished fourth.
Aiding the women's first-place finish were senior Brianna Torres who placed 10th (21:13.4), junior Cody Sohn who placed 46th (21:59.7) and freshman Desiree Davila who placed 50th (22:03.0). Also scoring for ASU were sophomore Jen Hurbis (128th, 22:43.7) and junior Lisa Pohlit (166th, 23:01.1).
Behind Reyes and Bizuneh on the men's side were freshman J.J. Duke (54th, 25:03.3), sophomore Dan Maher (103rd, 25:24.2), senior Phillip Prince (105th, 25:25.0), senior J.R. Cox (134th, 25:37.3) and junior Ronnie Buchanan (148th, 25:42.2).
Wisconsin won the men's team title, led by individual first-place finisher Matt Tegenkamp.
Arizona State's 'B' teams competed in the Canyon West Classic hosted by Mesa Community College in Tempe, today, but results are not yet available.
Next week, ASU will host the Arizona State Invitational, Friday, Oct. 5 at Freestone Park in Gilbert, Ariz., at 4 p.m. Other than the Pac-10 Championships, October 27, it will be ASU's only home meet of the year.
ROY GRIAK INVITATIONAL RESULTS
Saturday, Sept. 29, 2001, Les Bolstad Golf Course
Men's Top-10 Team Results
1. Wisconsin-Madison, 129 pts., 2. Portland (Ore.), 167, 3. Providence, 189, 4. Colorado State, 192, 5. Duke, 212, 6. Wake Forest, 250, 7. Michigan, 258, 8. Arizona State, 267, 9th. Michigan State, 278, 10. BYU, 304.
Women's Top-10 Team Results
1. Arizona State, 109 pts., 2. Providence, 139, 3. Arizona, 167, 4. Colorado State, 188, 5. Michigan State, 194, 6. Virginia, 212, 7. Washington, 214, 8. UCLA, 276, 9. Marquette, 300, 10. James Madison, 306.
2. Juan Reyes, So. 24:12.6
3. Fasil Bizuneh, Jr. 24:13.7
54. J.J. Duke, Fr. 25:03.3
103. Dan Maher, So. 25:24.2
134. Phillip Prince, Sr. 25:25.0
148. Ronnie Buchanan, Jr. 25:42.2
243. Kyle Morgan, So. 26:24.5
275. Charles Sharpe, Sr. 27:00.0
2. Lisa Aguilera, Sr. 20:34.2
3. Kelly MacDonald, Sr. 20:37.2
10. Brianna Torres, Sr. 21:13.4
46. Cody Sohn, Jr. 21:59.7
50. Desiree Davila, Fr. 22:03.0
128. Jen Hurbis, So. 22:43.7
166. Lisa Pohlit, Jr. 23:01.1
205. Kristin McFerron, Sr. 23:23.7
234. Nikki Simmons, Sr. 23:46.2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive