Women's Tennis Notches 5-2 Win Over Irish
Oct. 19, 2001
NOTRE DAME, Ind. - In its first team outing of the year, USC women's tennis defeated Notre Dame 5-2 in South Bend on Friday (Oct. 19) afternoon at the Eck Tennis Pavilion.
In order to accommodate a concurrent USC-Notre Dame men's tennis match, Nos. 4-6 singles were played first, followed by all three doubles matches and Nos. 1-3 singles.
The Women of Troy won four of the six counting matches (the No. 7 match does not count against the final score), including sweeping victories by freshman Luana Magnani at No. 3 and junior Maureen Diaz at No. 4. Magnani is currently 8-1 this season. 15th-ranked Jewel Peterson was upset at the top of the lineup by Notre Dame's 48th-ranked Becky Varnum, 6-1, 6-3.
After the first three singles matches, the Irish did capture the first win in doubles at the third spot, but USC returned for wins at No. 1 and 2 to earn the doubles point. The fourth-ranked doubles team of Peterson and Tiffany Brymer defeated #23 Varnum and Lindsey Green 7-3 in a tiebreaker. Moments later, Anita Loyola and Magnani beat Sarah Jane Connelly and Katie Cunha 8-6 at No. 2 doubles.
The match does not officially count as a dual match in either team's record, although all individual results are official for ranking purposes.
USC 5, Notre Dame 2
(1) #48 Becky Varnum (ND) def. #15 Jewel Peterson (USC) - 6-1, 6-3
(2) #89 Anita Loyola (USC) def. Caylan Leslie (ND) - 0-6, 6-4, 6-3
(3) Luana Magnani (USC) def. Lindsey Green (ND) - 6-4, 7-5
(4) #45 Maureen Diaz (USC) def. #61 Nina Vaughan (ND) - 6-2, 6-0
(5) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Katie Cunha (ND) - 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
(6) Alicia Salas (ND) def. Bernadette Bayani (USC) - 6-1, 6-1
(7) Sarah Jane Connelly (ND) def. Caroline Christian (USC) - 0-6, 6-1, 1-0 (9-7)
(1) #4 Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. #23 Green/Varnum (ND) - 9-8 (7-3)
(2) Loyola/Magnani (USC) def. Connelly/Cunha (ND) - 8-6
(3) Leslie/Vaughan (ND) def. Bayani/Diaz (USC) - 8-5