Herman Frazier Among NCAA Silver Anniversary Award Recipients
Nov. 1, 2001
INDIANAPOLIS --The NCAA Honors Committee has announced this year's six NCAA Silver Anniversary Award recipients. The Silver Anniversary Award recognizes former student-athletes who have distinguished themselves since completing their college athletics careers 25 years ago.
The honorees have achieved a wide range of accomplishments since they graduated from college. For instance, two of the six were gold-medal winners in the 1976 Olympic Games, one was a United States Secretary of Transportation, one is a winner of 34 Ladies Professional Golf Association career titles, one is the leader of the nation's largest compensation and benefits consulting company, and another is a former NBA player and the basketball coach at a large university.
This year's honorees are:
* Richard C. Chapman, Augustana College (South Dakota), basketball, president and chief executive officer of a compensation and benefits consulting company.
* Maurice 'Bo' Ellis, Marquette University, basketball, men's head basketball coach at Chicago State University.
* Herman R. Frazier, Arizona State University, track and field, director of athletics at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
* Betsy King, Furman University, golf and basketball, professional golfer.
* John Naber, University of Southern California, swimming and diving, operator of Naber and Associates, a firm that provides motivational speakers and other services.
* Rodney E. Slater, Eastern Michigan University, football, an attorney at a Washington, D.C., law firm.
The recipients will be honored Sunday, January 13, at the Honors Dinner during the annual NCAA Convention in Indianapolis.
The award winners were selected by the NCAA Honors Committee, which is composed of eight athletics administrators at member institutions and nationally distinguished citizens who are former student-athletes. The members of the NCAA Honors Committee are: Harry Carson, president, Harry Carson, Inc., Eugene F. Corrigan, commissioner emeritus, Atlantic Coast Conference, Joseph Crowley, regents' professor/president emeritus, University of Nevada, Clyde Doughty Jr., athletics director, New York Institute of Technology, Jack Ford, ABC news anchor/correspondent, Jo Ann Harper, senior associate athletics director, Dartmouth College, Karen L. Johnson, director of institutional research, Alfred University and Valerie Richardson, assistant commissioner, West Coast Conference.
Potential candidates are nominated by NCAA member institutions and selected by the committee.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 11:00am PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive
Mon 8/21 | 6:00pm PTLive