Men's Tennis Defeated Hawaii 5-2 In Fall Dual Match
Nov. 23, 2001
HONOLULU, Hawaii - Stanford men's tennis team defeated Hawaii 5-2 on Friday afternoon in the annual post-Thanksgiving holiday matchup between the schools. The victory is the first for the Cardinal on the season.
Stanford claimed the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead in the match. The Nos. 1 and 2 doubles teams recorded wins for the Cardinal, as Scott Lipsky (Merrick, NY) and David Martin (Key Biscayne, FL) defeated Malino Oda and Lincoln Leeder 8-3 and the duo of Sam Warburg (Sacramento, Calif.) and Phil Sheng (Thousand Oak, Calif.) edged Hawaii's Reginaldo Moralejo and Justin Menolascino 8-5. Stanford's No. 3 team of Carter Morris (Washington D.C.) and Joseph Kao (Fullerton, Calif.) fell to Kai Ohuchi and Jorge Gonzalez 8-6 in the other doubles match.
On the singles side, the Cardinal notched victories at four of the six singles spots. Lipsky defeated Moralejo 6-2, 6-3 at the No.1 spot of the lineup, while Martin and Warburg also recorded straight-set victories. Martin defeated Oda 6-3, 6-3 at No.2 singles and Warburg topped Gonzalez 6-3, 6-3 at the No.3 spot. Hawaii collected singles wins at the Nos. 4 and 5 spots, and the Cardinal picked up its fourth singles win at No. 6 with Morris scoring a 6-3, 7-6 victory.
1. Lipsky (STAN) def. Moralejo (HAW) 6-2, 6-3
2. Martin (STAN) def. Oda (HAW) 6-3, 6-3
3. Warburg (STAN) def. Gonzalez (HAW) 6-3, 6-3
4. Menolascino (HAW) def. Sheng (STAN) 7-5, 7-5
5. Leeder (HAW) def. Kao (STAN) 6-1, 5-7, 1-0 (10-5)
6. Morris (STAN) def. Ohuchi (HAW) 6-3, 7-6
1. Lipsky-Martin (STAN) def. Oda-Leeder (HAW) 8-3
2. Warburg-Sheng (STAN) def. Moralejo-Menolascino (HAW) 8-5
3. Ohuchi-Gonzalez (HAW) def. Morris-Kao (STAN) 8-6
Stanford 5, Hawaii 2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 2:30pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive