Women's Tennis Blanks Hawaii 7-0 In Fall Dual Match Action
Nov. 28, 2001
HONOLULU, Hawaii - Stanford women's tennis team defeated Hawaii 7-0 on Friday afternoon in the annual post-Thanksgiving holiday matchup between the schools. The victory is the first for the Cardinal on the season.
Stanford swept the three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead into singles competition. The No. 1 team of Emilia Anderson (Cincinnati, OH) and Lauren Barnikow (Woodbridge, N.J.) defeated Hawaii's top tandem of Stacy Hakikawa and Lauren Fitzgerald 8-5. The Cardinal also cruised to wins at the Nos. 2 and 3 spots, including an 8-1 rout at No. doubles by Lizzy Bennett (Santa Barbara, Calif.) and Lauren Kalvaria (Indialantic, Fla.)
The story was the same on the singles side, with the Cardinal recording victories at all six singles slots. Erin Burdette (Jackson, Ga.), ranked No. 93 nationally, improved to 11-3 in her first season with a 6-0, 6-0 rout of Hawaii's Stacy Hakikawa. Lauren Barnikow (Woodbridge, N.J.), Story Tweedie-Yates (Redmond, Wash.), Emilia Anderson (Cincinnati, Ohio), Keiko Tokuda (Clifton, N.J.) and Kara Guzman (Burr Ridge, Ill.) also posted singles wins, as the Cardinal dropped just 19 games in singles competition.
Last season's contest was also a one-sided affair, as the Cardinal won five of six matches en route to an 8-1 win.
Stanford returns to the court on Jan.18-20, when it competes in the National Collegiate Tennis Championships in Las Vegas, Nev. The Cardinal will also compete at the Pac-10 Indoor Championships in Seattle, Wash. from Jan. 18-21.
1) No. 93 Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Stacy Hakikawa (HAW) 6-0, 6-0
2) No. 73 Lauren Barnikow (STAN) def. Polina Kravets (HAW) 6-3, 6-2
3) Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Lauren Fitzgerald (HAW) 6-4, 6-4
4) Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Paige Mainor (HAW) 6-1, 6-0
5) No. 30 Keiko Tokuda (STAN) def. Kim Curtis (HAW) 6-2, 6-0
6) Kara Guzman (STAN) def. Justine Boutet (HAW) 6-1, 6-2
1) Anderson/Barnikow (STAN) def. Fitzgerald/Hakikawa (HAW) 8-5
2) Burdette/Tokuda (STAN) def. Kravets/Mainor (HAW) 8-4
3) Bennett/Kalvaria (STAN) def. Boutet/Lyndsey Thomas (HAW) 8-1
STANFORD 7, HAWAII 0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 1/26 | 6:30pm PTLive