Women's Tennis Opens Season With 6-1 Victory Over UCSB
Jan. 22, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The seventh-ranked USC women's tennis team (1-0) earned a 6-1 victory over UC Santa Barbara (0-1) Tuesday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium to open the 2002 season.
The Women of Troy played without 13th-ranked Jewel Peterson, who took the day off after winning the Pac-10 Indoor Singles Championship last week. But even without their No. 1 player, the Trojans have plenty of depth to go around.
USC earned its first point after the doubles teams swept through each of their matches by 8-1, 8-1 and 8-0 scores, respectively. In singles, junior Maureen Diaz (playing at No. 3) and senior Caroline Christian (playing at No. 6) held each of their opponents scoreless to give USC a 3-0 lead. Freshman Luana Magnani (playing at No. 2) and sophomore Bernadette Bayani (playing at No. 5) clinched the victory for the Women of Troy, each by 6-1, 6-1 scores.
The Gauchos only point was earned at the No. 1 position, where junior Uzma Khan came back after dropping the first set to defeat USC junior Anita Loyola, 2-6, 6-0, 6-2.
The Women of Troy return to action on Thursday, Jan. 24, when they face UC Irvine at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Stadium.
#7 USC 6, UC Santa Barbara 1
(1) Loyola/Magnani (USC) def. Khan/Ammann (UCSB) - 8-1
(2) Brymer/Christian (USC) def. Dillon/Stewart (UCSB) - 8-1
(3) Bayani/Esmero (USC) def. Fukushima/Pazornik (UCSB) - 8-0
USC wins doubles point.
(1) Uzma Khan (UCSB) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
(2) Luana Magnani (USC) def. Cindy Ammann (UCSB) - 6-1, 6-1
(3) Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Michelle Stewart (UCSB) - 6-0, 6-0
(4) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Chelsea Dillon (UCSB) - 6-1, 6-4
(5) Bernadette Bayani (USC) def. Shiho Fukushima (UCSB) - 6-1, 6-1
(6) Caroline Christian (USC) def. Amanda Pazornik (UCSB) - 6-0, 6-0