Cal Men Look for Fifth Straight Win at No. 13 UCLA
Jan. 25, 2002
California Golden Bears (14-3, 5-2) at UCLA Bruins (13-5, 5-3)
Saturday, Jan. 26, 5 p.m., Pauley Pavilion, Los Angeles, CA
TV: Fox Sports Net
Radio: KABL (960 AM)
A Quick Look at the Golden Bears
* Cal looks to extend its winning streak to five games when the Bears visit No. 13 UCLA Saturday afternoon. Cal enters the game off an emotional 92-91 overtime victory at No. 23 USC Thursday.
* After losing its first three road games this year, Cal has won its last two - at Oregon State (61-53) and at USC. The Bears won four straight away from home last year, sweeping the Oregon and Washington schools in January and February 2001.
* If Cal can defeat UCLA Saturday, the Bears would have their second road sweep of USC and UCLA in three years. In 2000, Cal edged the Trojans, 66-62, then topped the Bruins, 73-70.
* Cal has scored at least 90 points in its last two games - vs. Washington State (90-57) and at USC (92-91). The Bears haven't had consecutive games with 90 or more points since the first two games of the 1999-2000 season when they beat TCU (91-83) and Houston (95-70) in the Top of the World Classic in Fairbanks, Alaska. Cal had not had two straight 90-point games in Pac-10 action since 1996 vs. Arizona (99-75) and Arizona State (97-82).
* Cal is in the midst of playing three consecutive games against ranked opponents. After visiting USC and UCLA this week, the Bears host Arizona next Thursday.
* After shooting a combined 7-for-34 from three-point range against Washington and Washington State last week, the Bears made a school-record 15 three-pointers (28 attempts) at USC.
* Freshman Jamal Sampson has averaged 12.7 ppg and 12.0 rpg his last three games, including a 15-point, 17-rebound effort vs. Washington.
* Junior Brian Wethers scored 24 points at USC, his highest total of the year by nine points (previous best: 15 points vs. Mount St. Mary's) and just shy of his career best of 27 points set last year against Arizona State.
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:30pm PTLive