Men's Tennis Routs Idaho 7-0
Jan. 27, 2002
Eugene, Ore. - Oregon men's tennis closed out the weekend crushing Idaho, 7-0. In two days of play, the Ducks dropped only one singles match in 12 and shut out the Vandal and Lumberjack doubles squads.
Junior Oded Teig easily handled Idaho's Stephen De Silva at No. 2 singles, 6-1, 6-1. Freshman Sven Swinnen teamed up with the standout from Holon, Israel to lead the Ducks past Vandals Eddie Brisbois and Brock Berry at No. 1 doubles (8-4).
'Oded [Teig] dominated this weekend, ' said Oregon head coach Chris Russell. 'He only gave up five games this weekend and was the most decisive on the court.'
Duck freshman Manuel Kost earned his stripes this weekend, dropping only six games in two singles matches versus Northern Arizona's Thibault Schram (6-0, 6-1) and Idaho's Eddie Brisbois (6-3, 6-2).
Up next, the Ducks battle No. 69 BYU at the Student Tennis Center in Eugene, Friday, Feb. 1 at 4 p.m.
Oregon vs. Idaho, January 27, 2002
Student Tennis Center, Eugene, Ore.
Oregon 7, Idaho 0
1. Manuel Kost (UO) def. Eddie Brisbois (UI), 6-3, 6-2
2. Oded Teig (UO) def. Stephen De Silva (UI), 6-1, 6-1
3. Jason Menke (UO def. Brad Lum-Tucker (UI), 7-5, 6-2
4. Sven Swinnen (UO)def. Hector Mucharraz (UI), 6-1, 6-2
5. Chris King (UO) def. Chris Faulman (UI), 7-6, 6-2
6. Greg Dubourdieu (UO) def. James Cromwell, 6-2, 6-3
1. Teig/Swinnen (UO) def. Brisbois/Brock Berry (UI), 8-4
2. Menke/Kost (UO) def. Lum-Tucker/Mucharraz (UI), 8-2
3. Johan Paalberg/King (UO) def. De Silva/Cromwell (UI), 8-2