Trojans Impressive in 7-0 Win Over UNLV
Jan. 30, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 12-ranked USC men's tennis team (3-0) swept the visiting UNLV Rebels, 7-0, Wednesday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
To start the match, USC won two of three doubles matches to earn the first point. The Trojans' Ryan Moore and Nick Rainey defeated UNLV's Thomas Michaud and Romain Tug at No. 1, while Andrew Park and Prakash Amritraj defeated Avirim Saloman and Leslie Eisinga at No. 3. Both matches were won by 8-1 scores.
USC won the first set in each singles match, then earned a quick 3-0 lead as Daniel Langre cruised past Eisinga (6-2, 6-2) at No. 5 and Moore defeated Tug (6-3, 6-1) at No. 2. It was freshman Amritraj who clinched the match for the Trojans as he pulled out 7-6 win in the first set, then rolled to a 6-1 victory in the second. In the other matches, Park rallied to come from behind in the second set and beat Schneiter (6-3, 7-5) at No. 1, Rainey moved up to No. 3 and defeated Saloman (7-5, 6-4) and Ruben Torres claimed a three-set victory over Andreas Maurer (6-2, 6-7, 6-1).
The Trojans return to action on Friday, Feb. 1, at UCLA in the first of the two meetings between these rivals for the Lexus Gauntlet Challenge.
#12 USC 7, UNLV 0
(1) Rainey/Moore (USC) def. Michaud/Tug (UNLV) - 8-1
(2) Maurer/Schneiter (UNLV) def. Langre/Damien Spizzo (USC) - 8-5
(3) Park/Amritraj (USC) def. Saloman/Eisinga (UNLV) - 8-1
USC wins doubles point
(1) Andrew Park (USC) def. Thomas Schneiter (UNLV) - 6-3, 7-5
(2) Ryan Moore (USC) def. Romain Tug (UNLV) - 6-3, 6-1
(3) Nick Rainey (USC) def. Avirim Saloman (UNLV) - 7-5, 6-4
(4) Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. Thomas Michaud (UNLV) - 7-6, 6-1
(5) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Leslie Eisinga (UNLV) - 6-2, 6-2
(6) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Andreas Maurer (UNLV) - 6-2, 6-7, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 3/22 | 5:00pm PTLive
Fri 3/23 | 3:00pm PTLive
Fri 3/23 | 5:00pm PTLive