Bears Look to Rebound vs. Arizona State
Feb. 1, 2002
Arizona State Sun Devils (11-8, 4-6) at California Golden Bears (14-5, 5-4)
Saturday, Feb. 2, 7 p.m., Haas Pavilion, Berkeley, CA
TV: KRON TV (Channel 4)
Radio: KABL (960 AM)
A Quick Look at the Golden Bears
* Cal looks to break out of a two-game losing streak when the Bears host Arizona State Saturday at 7 p.m. in Haas Pavilion. Cal has not lost three in a row since it dropped consecutive road games to Texas, Saint Louis and UC Irvine early in the 2000-01 season.
* The Bears completed their first nine Pac-10 games with a 5-4 mark, the third time in six years under Ben Braun Cal has had a winning record at the mid-point of the conference season.
* Cal is one of six Pac-10 school with a Top 40 RPI (as of Friday) - 6. Arizona, 18. UCLA, 28. Stanford, 29. USC, 32. Cal, and 40. Oregon. Arizona State's RPI is 76.
* After shooting just 58.2 percent from the free throw line during the non-conference portion of its schedule, Cal has made 76.1 percent from the charity stripe in Pac-10 games. Junior forward Joe Shipp is 34-for-37 (91.9%) from the line in league action, while senior guard Ryan Forehan-Kelly has gone 14-for 15 (93.3%) since the beginning of January.
* Shipp continues to lead the Bears in scoring at 15.1 ppg, almost double his career average of 8.8 ppg entering the season. Shipp has paced Cal 11 times, with a high of 31 vs. Fresno State in December.
* Junior wing Brian Wethers has been one of Cal's most active players on the court in recent weeks. Since the start of conference action, he has led the Bears on the glass four times, including Thursday vs. Arizona with 7 rebounds. Despite not starting a game since Dec. 1, Wethers ranks second on the squad in scoring with 10.1 ppg.
* NOTE: Cal's game against Oregon next Saturday (Feb. 9) has been moved to a 5 p.m. start. Tip time is listed as 3 p.m. in the media guide.
Thu 5/24 | 4:00pm PTLive
Thu 5/24 | 7:00pm PTLive
Fri 5/25 | 4:00pm PTLive