No. 1 Women's Tennis Bests No. 24 Pepperdine 5-2
Feb. 2, 2002
No. 1 Stanford women's tennis continued its dominant start to the 2002 season, topping No. 24 Pepperdine 5-2 in Malibu on Saturday afternoon at the Ralph-Straus Tennis Center. The Cardinal improves to 3-0 on the young season and extended its winning streak to 33 matches with the victory.
The Cardinal swept all three doubles matches to earn the doubles point and take a 1-0 advantage into singles action. Highlighting doubles play for the Card was an 8-0 rout of Pepperdine's Aleksandra Kujawaska and Karin Schlapbach by Stanford's No. 1 team of Lauren Barnikow (Woodbridge, N.J.) and Erin Burdette (Jackson, Ga.).
Senior Gabriela Lastra (Reno, Nev.) anchored the charge in singles competition, outlasting the Waves' Charlotte Vernaz 1-6, 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 1 spot. Burdette, Keiko Tokuda (Clifton, N.J.) and Emilia Anderson (Cincinnati, Ohio) each picked up straight-set wins at the Nos. 3, 4 and 5 spots respectively to ensure the win. Pepperdine (1-3) claimed only two singles victories on the day, at the Nos. 2 and 6 slots. For the second consecutive match, senior Lauren Kalvaria (Indialantic, Fla.)- ranked No. 4 nationally, was held out of singles competition.
The Cardinal now focuses its attention on the National Team Indoor Championships, beginning next Thursday in Madison, Wis.
Stanford 5, Pepperdine 2
1. Gabriela Lastra (STAN) def. Charlotte Vernaz (PEP) 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Aleksandra Kujawska (PEP) def. Lauren Barnikow (STAN) 7-5, 7-6 (6)
3. Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Karin Schlapbasch (PEP) 6-1, 6-2
4. Keiko Tokuda (STAN) def. Veronica Koskova (PEP) 6-0, ret.
5. Emilia Anderseon (STAN) def. Monika Horvath (PEP) 6-4, 6-1
6. Anna Anderson (PEP) def. Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) 6-0, 7-6 (3)
1. Barnikow/Burdette (STAN) def. Kujawska/Schlapbach (PEP) 8-0
2. Lastra/Tokuda (STAN) def. Vernaz/Keyman (PEP) 8-3
3. Anderson/Lauren Kalvaria (STAN) def. Koskova/Andersson (PEP) 8-1