Men's Tennis Outlasts Louisville, 4-3
Feb. 5, 2002
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The No. 12 USC men's tennis team (4-1) defeated Louisville 4-3 Tuesday at the Bass-Rudd in Louisville, Ky. The Trojans' victory snapped the Cardinals 20-match win streak at home.
Louisville began the match by winning the doubles point as Cody Conley and Octavian Nicodim combined to defeat Ryan Moore and Nick Rainey, 8-2, at the top spot and Matt Mayer and Brent McCombe teamed to beat Ruben Torres and Teige Sullivan, 8-3, at No. 3. USC's PrakashAmritraj and Daniel Langre topped Alex Sivertsen and Adam Maskill at No. 2.
In singles, the Trojans made a lineup change and played Park at No. 2 and Moore at No. 1, but both were defeated as Park retired the match in the second set. With the two wins the Cardinals gained a 3-0 lead and it was up to the rest of the USC lineup to savage the victory.
The Trojans collected straight set wins at the three, four and six spots. Rainey defeated Sivertsen 6-4, 6-3 at No. 3, Amritraj beat Nicodim 6-4, 6-2 at No. 4 and Damien Spizzo notched a 6-2, 6-2 win over McCombe at No. 6. With the match tied at 3-3, Mayer and Langre battled to a three-set tiebreaker with Langre outlasting Mayer 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 at No. 5.
USC will now stay in Kentucky to compete at the ITA Team Indoor Championships, Feb. 7-11.
#12 USC 4, Louisville 3
(1) Conley/Carvalho (UL) d. Moore/Rainey (USC) 8-2
(2) Amritraj/Langre (USC) d. Sivertsen/Adam Maskill (UL) 8-5
(3) Mayer/McCombe (UL) d. Ruben Torres/Sullivan (USC) 8-5
Louisville wins doubles points.
(1) Cody Conley (UL) d. Ryan Moore (USC) 7-6, 6-4
(2) Paulo Carvalho (UL) d. Andrew Park (USC) 7-6, ret.
(3) Nick Rainey (USC) d. Alex Sivertsen (UL) 6-4, 6-3
(4) Prakash Amritraj (USC) d. Octavian Nicodim (UL) 6-4, 6-2
(5) Daniel Langre (USC) d. Matt Mayer (UL) 6-4, 5-7, 7-6
(6) Damien Spizzo (USC) d. Brent McCombe (UL) 6-2, 6-2
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 5/24 | 4:00pm PTLive
Thu 5/24 | 7:00pm PTLive