Men's Tennis Shuts Out Utah, 7-0
Feb. 6, 2002
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State men's tennis team (1-0) opened the 2002 season on the winning track with a 7-0 shutout over Utah (2-2) this afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
The Sun Devils opened the dual by winning all three of the doubles matches for the first point. The team of Olivier Charroin and Chris Stewart finished first on the No. 3 court with an 8-3 victory over Utah's Jonathan Engelbrecht and Corrie Scheepers.
ASU clinched the doubles point on the No. 2 court when Clinton Letcher and Pim Van Mele defeated Daniel Carlsson and Tyler Poulson, 8-5. In singles action, the Sun Devils won all six matches in straight sets.
Up next, Arizona State will continue its home stand with a dual against Texas Tech on Thursday, February 14 at 1:30 p.m.
1. Mitchell Bowen/Klinger (ASU) def. David Mercier/Yip (Utah), 8-5
2. Letcher/Van Mele (ASU) def. Carlsson/Poulson (Utah), 8-5
3. Charroin/Stewart (ASU) def. Engelbrecht/Scheepers (Utah), 8-3
1. Matt Klinger (ASU) def. Corrie Scheepers (Utah), 6-4, 7-6 (8)
2. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. Nicholas Yip (Utah), 6-3, 6-4
3. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Daniel Carlsson (Utah), 6-1, 6-0
4. Clinton Letcher (ASU) def. Daniel Lohff (Utah), 6-1, 6-3
5. Chris Stewart (ASU) def. Tyler Poulson (Utah), 6-2, 6-3
6. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) def. Tobias Tangberg (Utah), 6-2, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 3/22 | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 3/23 | 4:00pm PTLive
Fri 3/23 | 6:00pm PTLive