No. 1 Women's Tennis Blanks Wisconsin 7-0
Feb. 7, 2002
MADISON, Wisc. - No. 1 Stanford women's tennis got off to a good start Thursday afternoon, breezing past host Wisconsin 7-0 in the first round of the 2002 National Women's Team Indoor Championships in Madison, Wisc. The Cardinal improves to 4-0 and extends its winning streak to 34 matches with the victory.
Stanford took two of the three doubles matches to capture the doubles point. The Cardinal scored victories at the Nos. 1 and 2 spots, with the team of Lauren Barnikow (Woodbridge, N.J.) and Erin Burdette (Jackson, Ga.)- ranked sixth nationally- recording an 8-3 win at the top spot to lead the charge.
On the singles side, the Cardinal posted victories at all six single positions in the lineup. Senior Gabriela Lastra (Reno, Nev.) cruised to a straight-set win at the No. 1 spot, defeating Wisconsin's Vanessa Rauh 7-5, 6-2. Barnikow and Burdette pulled out straight-set victories at the Nos. 2 and 3 positions, while Story Tweedie Yates (Redmond, Wash.) edged the Badger's Lindsay Martin 6-3, 6-3 at No. 6 singles.
Keiko Tokuda (Clifton, NJ) and Emilia Andesrson (Cincinnati, Ohio) were able to win their matches in three sets to complete the singles sweep.
The Cardinal, which has won a record six titles at this event, will face Wake Forest on Friday at 1:30 p.m. in a rematch of November's singles and doubles finals of the Omni Hotels National Indoor Championships.
Stanford 7, Wisconsin 0
1. No. 11 Gabriela Lastra (STAN) def. Vanessa Rauh (WIS) 7-5, 6-2
2. No. 42 Lauren Barnikow (STAN) def. Linda Mues (WIS) 6-3, 6-4
3. No. 10 Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Shana McElroy (WIS) 6-1, 6-1
4. No. 52 Keiko Tokuda (STAN) def. Katie McGaffigan (WIS) 2-6, 6-0, 10-7
5. Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Katie Dougherty (WIS) 6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-3
6. Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Lindsay Martin (WIS) 6-3, 6-3
1. No. 6 Barnikow-Burdette (STAN) def. Mues-Vojnov (WIS) 8-3
2. Lastra-Tokuda (STAN) def. Dougherty-Gonzaga (WIS) 8-2
3. Martin-McGaffigan (WIS) def. Anderson-Lauren Kalvaria (STAN) 8-6
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:30pm PTLive