Bears Host No. 13 Oregon at 5 p.m. Saturday
Feb. 8, 2002
* Cal concludes its first four-game Pac-10 homestand since 1991 when No. 13 Oregon visits Haas Pavilion Saturday afternoon. The Bears are 2-3 vs. ranked teams this season, beating both then-No. 12 Stanford and then-No. 23 USC.
* With a 16-5 record, Cal has the best overall mark of any team in the Pac-10. Every other squad in the league has at least six losses.
* Cal has held five of six Pac-10 opponents to less than 60 points at Haas Pavilion this year. Only Arizona, with 68 points, has topped the barrier. On Jan. 6, the Bears limited Stanford to a season-low 54 points and Arizona State to 59 points - its second lowest total of the year.
* Cal is 14-1 in Haas Pavilion this season and has won 31 of its past 35 games on Pete Newell Court.
* As of Friday, the Bears were at No. 29 in the RPI. Cal has ranked in the Top 30 since early in the Pac-10 season, reaching as high as 24th after the victory over USC Jan. 24.
* With 18 points vs. Oregon State Thursday, junior forward Joe Shipp led the Cal offensive attack for the 12th time this year. In the first match-up at Oregon in January, Shipp poured in 24 points, his career high for a Pac-10 game.
* Cal is shooting 77.3 percent from the free throw line in Pac-10 games, topping 80 percent on six occasions. The school FT percentage record for league contests is 75.3 percent set in 1989. In addition, the Bears have four players at or above 90 percent in Pac-10 action, a feat no one has accomplished for a full slate in school history.
* Senior guard Dennis Gates partially tore ligaments in his right wrist last Monday in practice. He is expected to miss four games, and hopes to return for the final home series of his career vs. UCLA and USC.
* Cal is being out-rebounded by a 35.5-34.5 margin for the season. But when the Bears do control the glass, they are a perfect 10-0, including Thursday vs. Oregon State when they won the battle, 31-19. Cal will have its work cut out against the Ducks, as the Bears grabbed a season-low 23 boards in the first meeting in Eugene.
Wed 9/27 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/28 | 3:30pm PTLive
Thu 9/28 | 5:30pm PTLive