18-5 Bears Visit Washington Saturday
Feb. 15, 2002
California Golden Bears (18-5, 9-4) at Washington Huskies (8-16, 2-12)
Saturday, Feb. 16, 5 p.m., Bank of America Arena, Seattle, WA
TV: Fox Sports Net
Radio: KABL (960 AM)
A Quick Look at the Golden Bears
* Cal concludes its Northwest road trip at Washington Saturday at 5 p.m. The Bears enter the contest on a four-game winning streak and have prevailed in their last four decisions against the Huskies.
* At 18-5, Cal is off to its best 23-game start since the 1993-94 squad was 19-5 with Jason Kidd and Lamond Murray leading the way.
* If Cal wins Saturday, the Bears would have their first five-game Pac-10 winning streak since they won six straight in 1997.
* As of Friday, the Bears had an RPI ranking of 26, third best in the league behind Arizona (9) and UCLA (15). Cal also has the best overall record in the Pac-10, leading the conference with 18 wins and having the fewest losses with 5.
* Since losing its first three road games this season, the Bears have won three of their last four away from home. Thursday's victory at Washington State was Cal's largest in Pullman since 1971 (a 102-76 victory).
* Cal has held 12 teams, including seven Pac-10 schools, to 60 points or less for the first time since 1984-85 - the year before the shot clock was introduced. The Bears limited 14 teams to 60 or less in 1983-84.
* Junior point guard Shantay Legans had led (or tied for the team lead) in assists in six straight games for the first time this season. At Washington State Thursday, he finished with six assists and just one turnover in 21 minutes.
* Freshman forward Amit Tamir, who earned Pac-10 Player of the Week and ESPN.com National Player of the Week honors after his 39-point outburst vs. Oregon last Saturday, leads the Bears from three-point range where he is making 41.3 percent of his attempts. Over his past five games, Tamir is 9-for-14 from behind the arc (64.3%).
* Cal can post back-to-back road sweeps of Washington and Washington State with a victory over UW Saturday. The last time the Bears accomplished the feat came in 1988 and '89. Last season, Cal won 79-64 over the Huskies in Seattle and 75-71 in overtime at WSU.
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 8/24 | 7:00pm PTLive