Tennis Defeats Loyola Marymount, 5-2
Feb. 15, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 15-ranked USC women's tennis team (4-3) defeated No. 64 Loyola Marymount (2-2), 5-2, Friday (Feb. 15) afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
USC began the match with two doubles victories at the No. 1 and 2 positions to secure the doubles point, but each match was competitive. The Lions managed to garner a win at No. 3 as Julie Hladik and Edit Pakay defeated new doubles pair Maureen Diaz and Melissa Esmero, 8-6.
With a 1-0 lead, the USC victory was secured as Jewel Peterson, Luana Magnani and Tiffany Brymer grabbed the next three points. Both Peterson and Brymer did so with comeback efforts, defeating LMU's Andrea Lord and Hladik in three sets each. Magnani easily defeated Penka Fileva at No. 2. Senior Caroline Christian was pushed to a third set at No. 6 but also came away with a 4-6, 6-4, 6-0 win over LMU's Georgie Dinham for the Trojans' final point.
Loyola Marymount's Pakay and Angelina Zdorovytska posted two points for the Lions by winning each of their matches at the No. 3 and 4 courts.
The Women of Troy host conference foes No. 44 Arizona and No. 7 Arizona State next Friday and Saturday, Feb. 22 and Feb. 23., at Marks Tennis Stadium. The matches will be played at 1:30 and 12 p.m., respectively, and neither match will count against Pac-10 records.
#15 USC 5, #64 Loyola Marymount 2
(1) #10 Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. Lord/Zdorovytska (LMU) - 9-7
(2) #24 Magnani/Loyola (USC) def. Palencia/Fileva (LMU) - 8-6
(3) Hladik/Pakay (LMU) def. Diaz/Esmero (USC) - 8-6
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #13 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. Andrea Lord (LMU) - 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
(2) #34 Luana Magnani (USC) def. Penka Fileva (LMU) - 6-2, 6-2
(3) Edit Pakay (LMU) def. #46 Maureen Diaz (USC) - 0-6, 6-4, 7-6
(4) Angelina Zdorovytska (LMU) def. #91 Anita Loyola (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
(5) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Julie Hladik (LMU) - 5-7, 6-1, 6-1
(6) Caroline Christian (USC) def. Georgie Dinham (LMU) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Fri 5/25 | 4:00pm PTLive