Men's Tennis Tops Rice, 6-1
Feb. 16, 2002
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State men's tennis team (3-0) defeated Rice University (2-1), 6-1, today at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
The Owls took the early advantage by winning two of the three doubles matches for the first point. ASU's tandem of Olivier Charroin and Chris Stewart claimed the Devils' only doubles victory with an 8-5 win over Take Morita and Vuk Rajevac on the No. 3 court. Rice took the other two doubles matches with Matthais Mathaes and Prakash Venkataraman defeating Matt Klinger and Mitchell Bowen, 8-4, on the No. 1 court, and William Barker and Fabien Giraud defeating Pim Van Mele and Clinton Letcher, 8-4, on the No. 3 court.
In singles action, the Devils turned the tide of the dual with a sweep of all six singles matches. Senior Klinger came off court No. 1 with the first victory for ASU defeating Mathaes, 7-5, 6-3. Klinger said he had trouble with the tempo of match at first but quickly moved toward his comfort zone to take the win.
ASU continued its winning streak with Letcher defeating Cody Jackson, 6-4, 7-6 and Van Mele defeating Barker 6-2, 6-3.
After securing wins on the No.5 and No. 6 courts, ASU clinched the singles sweep with a tough win on the No. 4 court. With split sets after the first two, Sophomore Charroin defeated Senior Venkataraman in third set, 6-1, 2-6, 6-4 for the victory.
Up next, Arizona State will open Pac-10 play at home with a dual against UCLA next Friday, February 22 and USC on Saturday, February 23, 2002.
1. Venkataraman/Mathaes (Rice) def. Mitchell Bowen/Klinger (ASU), 8-4
2. Barker/Giraud (Rice) def. Letcher/Van Mele (ASU) , 8-4
3. Charroin/Stewart (ASU) def. Morita/Vuk Rajevac (Rice), 8-5
1. Matt Klinger (ASU) def. Matthias Mathaes (Rice), 7-5, 6-3
2. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. William Barker (Rice), 6-2, 6-3
3. Clinton Letcher (ASU) def. Cody Jackson (Rice), 6-4, 7-6
4. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Prakash Venkataraman (Rice), 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
5. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) def. Fabien Giraud (Rice), 6-3, 6-4
6. Chris Stewart (ASU) def. Take Morita (Rice), 6-1, 7-5
TODAY | 1:30pm PTLive