No. 3 Women's Tennis Cruises To 7-0 Shutout of Hawaii
Feb. 20, 2002
STANFORD, Calif. - Once again the No. 3 Stanford women's tennis team proved to be too much to handle for visiting Hawaii, as the Cardinal blanked the Rainbow Wahine 7-0 Wednesday afternoon at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium. Stanford shutout Hawaii for the second time this season, as the Cardinal also breezed to a 7-0 triumph on Nov. 23 in Honolulu.
Stanford (7-1) managed to lose just one game in doubles competition, as the Cardinal swept all three matches to take a 1-0 lead over the Rainbow Wahine (0-4). The No. 2 team of Emilia Anderson (Cincinnati, Ohio) and Erin Burdette (Jackson, Ga.) and No. 3 squad of Keiko Tokuda (Clifton, N.J.) and Story Tweedie-Yates (Redmond, Wash.) each recorded 8-0 victories.
The Cardinal were just as dominating in singles action, winning in straight sets at all six spots in the lineup. Senior Lauren Kalvaria, ranked No. 4 nationally, edged Hawaii's Lauren Fitzgerald 6-3, 7-5 for her second straight singles win since returning to the starting lineup last weekend against UNLV. Senior Gabriela Lastra, ranked No. 11 in the country, notched a 6-0, 6-0 victory at No. 2 singles against the Rainbow Wahine's Stacy Hakikawa.
Stanford now focuses its attention on Saturday's Pac-10 opener, in which the Cardinal will travel to Berkeley to face arch rival California at 12 p.m.
Stanford 4, Hawaii 0
1) No. 4 Lauren Kalvaria (STAN) def. Lauren Fitzgerald (HAW) 6-3, 7-5
2) No. 11 Gabriela Lastra (STAN) def. Stacy Hakikawa (HAW) 6-0, 6-0
3) Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Birgitte Brubakken (HAW) 6-3, 6-2
4) Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Paulina Kravets (HAW) 6-3, 6-1
5) Kara Guzman (STAN) def. Paige Mainor (HAW) 6-2, 6-1
6) Lizzy Bennett (STAN) def. Justine Boutet (HAW) 6-2, 7-5
1) No. 1 Kalvaria/Lastra (STAN) def. Fitzgerald/Hakikawa (HAW) 8-1
2) Anderson/Burdette (STAN) def. Brubakken/Mainor (HAW) 8-0
3) Keiko Tokuda/Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Kravets/Boutet (HAW) 8-0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive