Cal Hosts USC in Home Finale
Feb. 22, 2002
USC Trojans (19-6, 11-4) at California Golden Bears (19-6, 10-5)
Saturday, Feb. 23, 3 p.m., Haas Pavilion, Berkeley, CA
TV: Fox Sports Net
Radio: KABL (960 AM)
A Quick Look at the Golden Bears
* Cal plays its home finale Saturday when No. 20 USC visits Haas Pavilion. The Bears' three seniors - Ryan Forehan-Kelly, Solomon Hughes and Dennis Gates - will be honored in a pre-game ceremony.
* Junior point guard Shantay Legans, who suffered a concussion late in Thursday's game vs. UCLA, will not play against the Trojans. His status for next week's contests in Arizona will be determined early next week.
* With 19-6 marks, Cal and USC are tied for the best overall records in the Pac-10.
* Cal moved up six places to 31st in the RPI after Thursday's win over UCLA. The Bears are also 29th in the Sagarin Ratings.
* Cal has held 13 opponents to 60 points or less this season, including eight teams in Pac-10 play. The Bears continue to lead the conference in scoring defense (63.9 ppg), field goal percentage defense (40.8%) and turnover margin (+5.08).
* Cal is 16-1 at home this year and with a win over the Trojans would post its second-highest victory total in Berkeley. The Bears were 24-2 in old Harmon Gym during the 1945-46 season. Cal is also 33-4 in its last 37 games on Pete Newell Court.
* Dennis Gates, who missed four games with partially torn ligaments in his right wrist, returned to play 11 minutes vs. UCLA Thursday. He finished with three points and an assist.
* Sophomore A.J. Diggs, who will likely start in place of Legans Saturday, has taken over the team lead with 40 steals, including four (all in the first half) against UCLA.
* Freshman Jamal Sampson has moved into fourth place on Cal's season blocked shots list with 44. He has eight blocks over his past three games, including four at Washington State.
* Junior Joe Shipp has paced Cal on offense all year, now averaging 14.5 ppg. Last month at USC, Shipp scored 20 points and tied a personal best with nine rebounds. With 922 career points, Shipp could become the 31st player in school history to reach 1,000 points by the end of this season.
Thu 1/25 | 6:30pm PTLive