USC Stops Arizona in 6-1 Victory
Feb. 22, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 15-ranked USC women's tennis team (5-3) defeated No. 44 Arizona (4-1), 6-1, Friday (Feb. 22) afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. The match does not count against conference records.
Despite the 6-1 final, the match started out close. Arizona took an early lead by winning at the No. 1 and 3 doubles positions. The Women of Troy managed one victory as Anita Loyola and Luana Magnani defeated Marie-Pier Pouliot and Laresa Marino, 8-1, at No. 2.
Down 1-0, USC's Tiffany Brymer quickly evened the score with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Arizona's Pouliot at court No. 5. The Women of Troy then went up 3-1 with victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions by Magnani and Maureen Diaz. Needing just one more singles win to close out the match, USC's Jewel Peterson, playing in the No. 1 position, defeated Arizona's Maja Mlakar, 6-4, 6-3, to give the Trojans a clinching 4-1 edge.
Singles wins by both USC's Loyola and Bernadette Bayani allowed the Trojans to sweep the singles matches and earn the 6-1 victory over the wildcats.
The Women of Troy return to action on Saturday (Feb. 23) to take on the Arizona State Sun Devils. The match begins at noon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#15 USC 6, #44 Arizona 1
(1) Larocque/Mlakar (Arizona) def. Brymer/Peterson (USC) - 9-7
(2) Loyola/Magnani (USC) def. Pouliot/Marino (Arizona) - 8-1
(3) Pernin/Hollands (Arizona) def. Bayani/Esmero (USC) - 8-6
Arizona wins doubles point
(1) Jewel Peterson (USC) def. Maja Mlakar (Arizona) - 6-4, 6-3
(2) Luana Magnani (USC) def. Debbie Larocque (Arizona) - 6-3, 6-0
(3) Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Dianne Hollands (Arizona) - 6-2, 6-2
(4) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Perrine Pernin (Arizona) - 6-4, 6-3
(5) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Marie-Pier Pouliot (Arizona) - 6-1, 6-1
(6) Bernadette Bayani (USC) def. Daniela Torres (Arizona) - 4-6, 6-4, 10-6 (TB)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 1/25 | 6:30pm PTLive