Women's Tennis Falls To Arizona State, 4-3
Feb. 23, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 15-ranked USC women's tennis team (5-4) dropped its first home match of the season with a 4-3 loss to seventh-ranked Arizona State (4-1) Saturday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. The match will not count against Pac-10 records.
The season's first meeting between these conference foes came down to the final singles match being played at No. 6.
USC began the afternoon with two doubles victories to capture the first point. The Women of Troy's Luana Magnani and Anita Loyola first captured an 8-5 win over Megan Yeats and Cindy Sureephong at No. 2, then Jewel Peterson and Tiffany Brymer followed by defeating ASU's Adria Engel and Dora Krstulovic, 8-6, at No. 1.
Down 1-0, the Sun Devils took the lead and opened singles play with two, two-set wins at No. 2 and 5, then led 3-1 after Mhairi Brown defeated Loyola with a comeback effort, 0-6, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 3. USC responded to tie the score at 3-3 as Peterson and Maureen Diaz won their matches at the No. 2 and 3 positions.
The No. 6 match, which had to wait for an open court and started later than the rest, was the deciding factor as the Sun Devils' Joslynn Bukett defeated Bernadette Bayani, 6-4, 6-2, for the ASU victory.
The Women of Troy travel to face Pepperdine on Wednesday, Feb. 27, at 1:30 p.m. in Malibu.
#7 Arizona State 4, #15 USC 3
(1) #12 Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. Engel/Krstulovic (ASU) - 8-6
(2) #26 Magnani/Loyola (USC) def. Yeats/Sureephong (ASU) - 8-5
(3) Colalillo/Brown (ASU) def. Bayani/Esmero (USC) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #10 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #30 Adria Engel (ASU) - 7-6, 5-7, 6-2
(2) Dora Krstulovic (ASU) def. #47 Luana Magnani (USC) - 6-3, 6-3
(3) #125 Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Megan Yeats (ASU) - 6-4, 5-7, 6-0
(4) Mhairi Brown (ASU) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 0-6, 6-1, 6-2
(5) #124 Cindy Sureephong (ASU) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 6-3, 6-0
(6) Joslynn Burkett (ASU) def. Bernadette Bayani (USC) - 6-4, 6-2
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 2:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 5:00pm PTLive