Women's Tennis Suffer Their First Lose in a Close Match vs. UCLA
Feb. 23, 2002
February 22, 2002
No. 7 ASU Lose Their First of The Season in a Close Match to No.11 UCLA. 4-3
Los Angeles-ï¿½ Though the Sun Devils fought incredibly hard, and were almost able to walk away with the win, it came down to the final match of the day, which was Bruin senior Catherine Hawley vs. ASU's own Laren Colalillo, who played an excellent match, but fell just shy of victory in 6-2, 4-6, 3-6 set.
So the UCLA Bruins just barely pulled out a 4-3 victory over No. 7 Arizona State Friday at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
Friday marked the first time all year that UCLA has dropped the doubles point.
The Sun Devils record is now 3-1, but they look to increase their wins vs USC on Saturday February 23, 2002 on the road at USC.
FINAL SCORE: (#11) UCLA 4, (#7) ASU 3
1. Engel/Krstulovic (ASU) def. (4) Marinova/Walker (UCLA) 8-3
2. (9) Bradley/Fisher (UCLA) def. Sureephong/Yeats (ASU) 8-2
3. Brown/Colalillo (ASU) def. Gregg/Hawley (UCLA) 8-3
ASU Wins Doubles Point
1. (5) Megan Bradley (UCLA) def. (30) Adria Engel (ASU) 7-5, 7-5
2. (4) Sara Walker (UCLA) def. Dora Krstulovic (ASU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Petya Marinova (UCLA) def. Megan Yeats (ASU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Mhairi Brown (ASU) def. Sarah Gregg (UCLA) 6-1, 6-2
5. (124) Cindy Sureephong (UCLA) def. Lauren Fisher (UCLA) 6-4, 6-3
6. Catherine Hawley (UCLA) def. Lauren Colalillo (ASU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3*
* Denotes Clinching Match
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive