Trojans Win At ASU With Strong Singles Play
Feb. 23, 2002
TEMPE, Ariz. - The No. 4 USC men's tennis team defeated No. 42 Arizona State, 5-2, Saturday afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe, Ariz. With the win, the Trojans improve to 9-2 this season.
The Sun Devils opened the dual by winning all three of the doubles matches for the first point. But USC quickly recovered to win the match in singles action.
The Trojans posted wins at courts 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 to earn the 5-2 victory, allowing ASU only one singles victory at No. 3. Ryan Moore and Daniel Langre grabbed two-set wins over the SUn Devils' Pim Van Mele and Olivier Charroin at 2 and 5. Andrew Park, Nick Rainey and Ruben Torres were each pushed to a third set.
Up next, USC will host UC Irvine on Wednesday, Feb. 27, at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#4 USC 5, #42 Arizona State 2
(1) Mitchell Bowen/Klinger (ASU) def. Moore/Rainey (USC) - 8-5
(2) Letcher/Van Mele (ASU) def. Langre/Amritraj (USC) - 8-4
(3) Charroin/Stewart (ASU) def. Damien Spizzo/Park (USC) - 8-4
(1) Andrew Park (USC) def. Matt Klinger (ASU) - 7-6(3), 4-6, 6-2
(2) Ryan Moore (USC) def. Pim Van Mele (ASU) - 6-3, 6-4
(3) Clinton Letcher (ASU) def Prakash Amritraj (USC) - 6-2, 7-5
(4) Nick Rainey (USC) def. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) - 6-4, 2-6, 7-6(3)
(5) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Olivier Charroin (ASU) - 7-6(0), 6-1
(6) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Chris Stewart (ASU) - 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 5/25 | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 10:30am PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 4:00pm PTLive