Women's Tennis Back on Track WIth a 4-3 Win Versus USC in Los Angeles.
Feb. 24, 2002
ASU Women's Tennis Defeats #15th-ranked USC 4-3
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 7-ranked ASU women's tennis team (4-1)gave the No.15th-ranked USC its first home match loss of the season, leaving USC with a record of (4-4, Saturday afternooon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
The season's first meeting between these conference foes came down to thefinal singles match being played at No. 6.
USC began the afternoon with two doubles victories to capture the firstpoint.
The Women of Troy's Luana Magnani and Anita Loyola first captured an8-5 win over Megan Yeats and Cindy Sureephong at No. 2,after which the Sun Devils fought back with Lauren Colalillo and Mhairi Brown defeating Bernadette Bayaniand Esmero 8-4, but then Jewel Peterson and Tiffany Brymer followed by defeating ASU's Adria Engel and DoraKrstulovic, 8-6, at No. 1.
Though the Sun Devils did not win the doubles point, they were still able to take the match through incredible singles play.
Down 1-0, the Sun Devils took the lead and opened singles play with two,two-set wins at No. 2 and 5, then led 3-1 after Mhairi Brown defeated Loyola with a comeback effort, 0-6, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 3. USC responded to tie the score at 3-3 as Peterson and Maureen Diaz won their matches at the No. 2 and 3 positions.
The No. 6 match, which had to wait for an open court and started laterthan the rest, was the deciding factor as the Sun Devils' Joslynn Bukettdefeated Bernadette Bayani, 6-4, 6-2, for the ASU victory.
The Sun Devils will now return to their home court to play the University of Arizona Wildcats on Wednesday, February 27th at 1:30 pm at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
#7 Arizona State 4, #15 USC 3
(1) #12 Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. Engel/Krstulovic (ASU) - 8-6
(2) #26 Magnani/Loyola (USC) def. Yeats/Sureephong (ASU) - 8-5
(3) Colalillo/Brown (ASU) def. Bayani/Esmero (USC) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #10 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #30 Adria Engel (ASU) - 7-6, 5-7, 6-2
(2) Dora Krstulovic (ASU) def. #47 Luana Magnani (USC) - 6-3, 6-3
(3) #125 Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Megan Yeats (ASU) - 6-4, 5-7, 6-0
(4) Mhairi Brown (ASU) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 0-6, 6-1, 6-2
(5) #124 Cindy Sureephong (ASU) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 6-3, 6-0
(6) Joslynn Burkett (ASU) def. Bernadette Bayani (USC) - 6-4, 6-2