Trojans Easily Defeat UC Irvine, 6-1
Feb. 27, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 4-ranked USC men's tennis team easily defeated UC Irvine, 6-1, Wednesday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Trojans improve to 10-2 overall -- their best start since the 1998 season -- and the Anteaters fall to 3-7.
USC's freshman Teige Sullivan was inserted into the doubles lineup at No. 3 for the match. With partner Ruben Torres, the two completed the three-match doubles sweep over UCI with a 9-7 win over Dontia Haynes and Wkwesi Williams. The Trojans entered singles play with a 1-0 lead.
Torres, Ryan Moore and Andrew Park assured the USC victory by winning at No. 5, 2 and 1, respectively, while only allowing the Anteaters a combined 13 game points in the three matches. Daniel Langre put the Trojans up 5-0 with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Greg Biorkman at No. 4 and Prakash Amritraj gave USC its sixth point as he beat Sean O'Connor 6-3, 7-6 in the tiebreaker at No. 3.
The Trojans have another week as off as they prepare to face crosstown rival No. 5 UCLA on Thursday, March 7 at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#4 USC 6, UC Irvine 1
(1) #28 Moore/Rainey (USC) def. Endrikat/Morton (UCI) - 8-5
(2) Langre/Amritraj (USC) def. O'Connor/Biorkman (UCI) - 8-5
(3) Torres/Teige Sullivan (USC) def. Haynes/Williams (UCI) - 9-7
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #60 Andrew Park (USC) def. Carl Lumsden (UCI) - 6-3, 6-1
(2) #73 Ryan Moore (USC) def. #105 Jonathan Endrikat (UCI) - 6-1, 6-3
(3) #93 Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. Sean O'Connor (UCI) - 6-3, 7-6
(4) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Greg Biorkman (UCI) - 6-2, 6-4
(5) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Dontia Haynes (UCI) - 6-1, 6-4
(6) Brian Morton (UCI) def. Damien Spizzo (USC) - 6-1, 6-2