Men's Tennis Dominates Arizona, 7-0
March 1, 2002
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State men's tennis team (5-2) shutout the University of Arizona (6-4), 7-0 today in Tucson. The Sun Devils dropped only two sets the entire dual.
Arizona State opened the dual by sweeping all three doubles matches for the first point. The duo of Clinton Letcher and Pim Van Mele earned an easy 8-0 win on the No. 2 court over UA's Whi Kim and Tom Lloyd.
In singles play, Matt Klinger hung on for a tough three set win, including two tie breakers over Steven Capriati, 6-3, 6-7 (8), 7-6 (5). Letcher defeated Lloyd on the No. 3 court, while Van Mele earned a 7-6 (8), 7-5 win over Kim. Playing in only his second dual this year, ASU's Mitchell Bowen capped the victory in straight sets over Colin O'Grady, 6-2, 7-6.
Up next, Arizona State returns home to host The University of San Diego on Wednesday, March 6 at 1:30 p.m.
1. Matt Klinger (ASU) def. Steven Capriati (UA), 6-3, 6-7(8), 7-6(5)
2. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. Whi Kim (UA), 7-6(8), 7-5
3. Clinton Letcher (ASU) def. Tom Lloyd (UA), 7-5, 6-2
4. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Carl Hagman (UA), 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Chris Stewart (ASU) def. Bruno Arapovic (UA), 6-3, 6-2
6. Mitchell Bowen (ASU) def. Colin O'Grady (UA), 6-2, 7-6
1. Klinger/Bowen (ASU) def. Capriati/Hagman (UA), 9-7
2. Letcher/Van Mele (ASU) def. Kim/Lloyd (UA), 8-0
3. Stewart/Charroin (ASU) def. O'Grady/Agniel (UA), 8-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive