UW Men's Tennis Registers Best Start in School History
March 2, 2002
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - The 16th-ranked Washington men's tennis team dropped only one set during six singles matches Saturday to register the best start in school history with a 7-0 victory over Ball State at Purdue's Varsity Courts.
The Huskies improved to 12-0, eclipsing the school record of 11 straight season-opening wins posted by the 1986 UW squad. Washington has not allowed a point to its last four opponents and has shut out eight teams overall. Ball State dropped to 2-7.
Freshman Alex Vlaski, ranked 30th nationally, helped the Huskies remain undefeated in No. 1 singles play with a 6-3, 6-3 decision over Ball State's Jason Pressel. Vlaski is 5-0 in the top spot for UW while junior Matt Hanlin is 6-0. Hanlin, ranked No. 52, played No. 2 singles on Saturday and beat Chris Varga 7-6, 6-1.
Husky junior Ari Strasberg was a 7-6, 6-2 winner over Kevin Burnett in the No. 3 singles spot and freshman Pete Scharler won the No. 4 singles competition 6-1, 6-4 over Matt Laramore.
The Cardinals' lone set victory came in No. 5 singles as Michael Heule won the first set 6-4 before UW sophomore Nick Weiss rallied to win the final two sets by a 6-4, 7-6 count.
Junior Dillon Ruby claimed a 6-4, 7-6 win over Klint Knable in No. 6 singles.
Washington won two of three doubles competitions to captures the doubles point. Christoph Palmanshofer and Vlaski scored a 9-8 win in the No. 1 doubles position over Burnett and Pressel. Scharler and Strasberg defeated BSU's No. 3 doubles tandem of Laramore and Knable 8-1.
Ball State gained its only victory in No. 2 doubles as the duo of Varga and Brad Rhodes edged Hanlin and Ruby 8-5.
The Huskies remain in Indiana to play 49th-ranked Purdue on Sunday.
NCAA Men's Tennis
Mar. 2, 2002
Varsity Courts, West Lafayette, Ind.
(16) Washington 7, Ball State 0
1. #30 Alex Vlaski (UW) d. #114 Jason Pressel (BSU), 6-3, 6-3
2. #52 Matt Hanlin (UW) d. Chris Varga (BSU), 7-6, 6-1
3. Ari Strasberg (UW) d. Kevin Burnett (BSU), 7-6, 6-24. Pete Scharler (UW) d. Matt Laramore (BSU), 6-1, 6-4
5. Nick Weiss (UW) d. Michael Heule (BSU), 4-6, 6-4, 7-6
6. #143 Dillon Ruby (UW) d. Klint Knable (BSU), 6-4, 7-6
1. Christoph Palmanshofer/Vlaski (UW) d. Burnett/Pressel (BSU), 9-8
2. Varga/Brad Rhodes (BSU) d. #57 Hanlin/Ruby (UW), 8-5
3. Scharler/Strasberg (UW) d. Laramore/Knable (BSU), 8-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Wed 10/18 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/19 | 3:00pm PTLive