Huskies Fall at Brigham Young in Women's Tennis
March 2, 2002
PROVO, Utah - Freshman Nicole Schneider won the decisive match Saturday, helping the 52nd-ranked Brigham Young women's tennis team rally from three points down to defeat No. 12 Washington 4-3 at the Smith Indoor Tennis Courts.
The Huskies, who had their six-match winning streak snapped, dropped to 10-2. Brigham Young improved to 4-6.
Washington opened the match by winning the doubles point with victories in all three doubles matches. The Huskies then recorded wins in the top two singles matches to claim a 3-0 advantage.
Sophomore Claire Carter, ranked 66th in the national singles poll, was a 6-1, 6-3 winner in the No. 1 position over BYU's Lindsay Ferrell. Senior Ilona Kordonskaya won the No. 2 singles with a 6-2, 6-3 decision over Brooke Beverley.
The Cougars won the next three singles matches to set up the decisive No. 6 singles confrontation. Schneider lost the first set 2-6 to UW sophomore Erin Hoe before winning the final two sets by matching 7-5 scores.
BYU's Lu Oswald won 6-2, 7-6 over Colleen Gray in No. 3 singles, Liza Khoudoiarova was a 6-2, 6-3 victor in the No. 4 spot over Andrea Coulter and Dominique Reynolds defeated Dea Sumantri 7-5, 6-3 in No. 5 singles.
Washington's No. 2 duo of Gray and Sumantri remained undefeated in doubles play, improving to 11-0 by edging Ferrell and Oswald by a 9-8 tally. The No. 1 doubles tandem of Carter and Darija Klaic beat Beverley and Reynolds 8-3 while Coulter and Kordonskaya were victorious in No. 3 doubles with an 8-4 decision over Khoudoiarova and Schneider.
The Huskies return to action next weekend with a pair of matches in Pullman, Wash. They play 17th-ranked Fresno State on Friday and No. 27 Washington State on Saturday.
NCAA Women's Tennis
Smith Indoor Courts, Provo, Utah
Mar. 2, 2002
(52) Brigham Young 4, (12) Washington 3
1. #60 Claire Carter (UW) d. Lindsay Ferrell (BYU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Ilona Kordonskaya (UW) d. Brooke Beverley (BYU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Lu Oswald (BYU) d. Colleen Gray (UW), 6-2, 7-6
4. Liza Khoudoiarova (BYU) d. Andrea Coulter (UW), 6-2, 6-3
5. Dominique Reynolds (BYU) d. Dea Sumantri (UW), 7-5, 6-3
6. Nicole Schneider (BYU) d. Erin Hoe (UW), 2-6, 7-5, 7-5
1. #31 Carter/Darija Klaic (UW) d. Beverley/Reynolds (BYU), 8-3
2. Gray/Sumantri (UW) d. Ferrell/Oswald (BYU), 9-8
3. Coulter/Kordonskaya (UW) d. Khoudoiarova/Schneider (BYU), 8-4
Wed 10/25 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/26 | 2:30pm PTLive
Thu 10/26 | 4:30pm PTLive