UW Men's Tennis Improves to 13-0
March 3, 2002
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Freshman Christoph Palmanshofer clinched the match win a victory in No. 3 singles as the 16th-ranked Washington men's tennis team won five of six singles matches Sunday en route to a 5-2 decision over No. 49 Purdue at the Varsity Courts.
The Huskies continued to add upon their best start in school history, improving to 13-0. The previous record was the season-opening 11 consecutive wins posted by the 1986 UW squad. The Boilermakers' record dropped to 4-5.
Washington was victorious in the top three singles matches. Junior Matt Hanlin, ranked 52nd nationally, helped the Huskies remain undefeated in No. 1 singles play with a 6-0, 3-6, 6-1 decision over Purdue's Scott Mayer. Hanlin is 7-0 in the top spot for UW while freshman Alex Vlaski is 5-0. Vlaski, ranked No. 30, played No. 2 singles on Sunday and beat Derek Miller 6-3, 6-0.
Palmanshofer rallied from one set down to defeat Andrew Wakefield by a 3-6, 6-0, 7-6 tally.
Husky freshman Pete Scharler won the No. 5 singles match in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3 over Troy Havens and sophomore Nick Weiss beat Sounak Chatterjee 4-6, 7-6, 7-6 in the No. 6 spot.
Purdue posted its only singles win in the No. 4 position as Laith Al-Agba downed UW junior Ari Strasberg after the team competition was already decided. The match was even at 7-6, 5-7 before Al-Agba captured the third-set match tiebreaker by a 10-5 count.
Washington won despite dropping the doubles point with 9-8 losses in all three matches. The Huskies' top tandem of Palmanshofer and Vlaski lost to 20th-ranked Mayer and Swan, the 57th-ranked duo of Hanlin and Dillon Ruby fell to Al-Agba and Carl McCafferty in the No. 2 position while Scharler and Strasberg were defeated in No. 3 doubles by Miller and Wakefield.
The Huskies don't play again until March 23-24 when they participate at a four-team competition in Malibu, Calif. They will be joined by ninth-ranked Pepperdine, No. 31 Texas Christian and No. 43 Arizona State.
NCAA Men's Tennis
Mar. 3, 2002
Varsity Courts, West Lafayette, Ind.
(16) Washington 5, (49) Purdue 2
1. #52 Matt Hanlin (UW) d. Scott Mayer (PU), 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
2. #30 Alex Vlaski (UW) d. Derek Miller (PU), 6-3, 6-0
3. Palmanshofer (UW) d. Andrew Wakefield (PU), 3-6, 6-0, 7-6 (clinched match victory)
4. Laith Al-Agba (PU) d. Ari Strasberg (UW), 7-6, 5-7, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Pete Scharler (UW) d. Troy Havens (PU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Nick Weiss (UW) d. Sounak Chatterjee (PU), 4-6, 7-6, 7-6
1. #20 Mayer/Swan (PU) d. Christoph Palmanshofer/Vlaski (UW), 9-8
2. Al-Agba/Carl McCafferty (PU) d. #57 Hanlin/Dillon Ruby (UW), 9-8
3. Miller/Wakefield (PU) d. Scharler/Strasberg (UW), 9-8
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 10/26 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 2:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 5:00pm PTLive