Men's Tennis Blanks San Diego, 7-0
March 6, 2002
TEMPE, Ariz. - For the second straight dual and the fourth time this year, the Arizona State men's tennis team (6-2) shutout their opponent, this time the University of San Diego fell, 7-0 today at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
In doubles action, the Sun Devils swept all three matches for the first point of the dual. Arizona State has now won six of the eight doubles points this season, including sweeping five of the duals.
On the No. 2 court, ASU's Clinton Letcher and Pim Van Mele came off first with an 8-2 win over Ted Burghardt and Stephen Taylor, while ASU's No. 3 team of Olivier Charroin and Chris Stewart improved their dual record to 7-0 with an 8-4 win over Rob Blair and Martin Linusson. ASU's top tandem of Mitchell Bowen and Matt Klinger finished off the doubles point with an 8-6 victory over Juan Cerda and Jason Pongsrigul.
In singles play, Van Mele tallied his team leading 13th win with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over USD's Pongsrigul on the No. 2 court. Letcher improved to 11-1 overall with an easy 6-2, 6-2 win over Rob Blair. On the No. 1 court, Klinger was extended to three sets, but pulled out a 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 win over Cerda. On the No. 4 court, ASU's Charroin also picked up a straight sets victory over Taylor, while Stewart posted a 6-4, 7-6 (4) win on the No. 5 court over Linusson. ASU wrapped up the dual on the No. 5 court where Mirza Duranovic had to come back from a set down before winning easily over Burghardt, 6-7 (5), 6-1, 6-1.
Up next, Arizona State will travel to the Bay Area to face 10th-ranked California on Friday, March 8 at 1:30 p.m. and second-ranked Stanford on Saturday at 12:00 p.m.
1. Mitchell Bowen/Klinger (ASU) def. Cerda/Pongsrikul (USD), 8-6
2. Letcher/Van Mele (ASU) def. Burghardt/Taylor (USD), 8-2
3. Charroin/Stewart (ASU) def. Blair/Linusson (USD), 8-4
1. Matt Klinger (ASU) def. Juan Cerda (USD), 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
2. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. Jason Pongsrikul (USD), 6-3, 6-2
3. Clinton Letcher (ASU) def. Rob Blair (USD), 6-2, 6-2
4. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Stephan Taylor (USD), 6-2, 6-3
5. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) def. Ted Burghardt (USD), 6-7 (5), 6-1, 6-1
6. Chris Stewart (ASU) def. Martin Linusson (USD), 6-4, 7-6 (4)