No. 9 Women's Tennis Tops California, 4-3
March 9, 2002
TEMPE, Ariz. - The ninth-rankled Arizona State women's tennis team (7-2) downed California, 4-3 today at the Whiteman Tennis Center. The Sun Devils won two of the three doubles matches for the first point and then grabbed three of the singles matches to win the dual.
In doubles, ASU won at the No. 2 and 3 slots. Mhairi Brown and Megan Yeats teamed up to defeat Christina Fusano and Jieun Jacobs, 9-8, while Cindy Sureephong and Lauren Colalillo downed Cal's Carla Arguelles and Nicole Havlicek, 8-6.
In singles action, Adria Engel edged out Raquel Kops-Jones in three sets, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4. Dora Krstulovic picked up an easy 6-1, 6-0 victory at the No. 2 slot over Jacobs. Colalillo also posted an identical 6-1, 6-0 win over Kristen Case.
1. Kops-Jones/Scheldt (CAL) def. Engel/Krstulovic (ASU), 8-4
2. Brown/Yeats (ASU) def. Fusano/Jacobs (CAL), 9-8
3. Colalillo/Sureephong (ASU) def. Arguelles/Havlicek (CAL), 8-6
1. Adria Engel (ASU) def. Raquel Kops-Jones (CAL), 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
2. Dora Krstulovic (ASU) def. Jieun Jacobs (CAL), 6-1, 6-0
3. Christina Fusano )CAL) def. Mhairi Brown (ASU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Catherine Lynch (CAL) def. Megan Yeats (ASU), 6-2, 7-5
5. Jody Scheldt (CAL) def. Cindy Sureephong (ASU), 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
6. Lauren Colalillo (ASU) def. Kristen Case (CAL), 6-1, 6-0