USC Women Upset Higher-Ranked Fresno State
March 20, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 19-ranked USC women's tennis team defeated No. 18 Fresno State, 6-1, Wednesday (March 20) afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, USC improves to 11-4 this season, while the Bulldogs fall to 7-5.
What was to be a battle of the higher-ranked No. 12 Women of Troy and 15th-ranked Bulldogs, changed after the season's first release of computer rankings on Wednesday (the previous rankings were voted on by ITA members). As a result, the match turned out to be an upset-victory for USC.
Despite the 6-1 final, the match started out close. The Trojans took the early lead by winning the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and 3, but then dropped three of the first six sets in singles play. Eventually, both Luana Magnani and Anita Loyola captured three set wins to give USC its fifth and sixth points of the match.
USC went up 3-0 with wins at No. 1 and 6 after Jewel Peterson defeated Fresno State's Kim Niggemeyer, 6-4, 6-3, and Melissa Esmero defeated Courtney Jantz, 6-3, 6-1. With a 7-5, 6-4 win at No. 5, junior Tiffany Brymer clinched the win for the Trojans over the Bulldogs' Chantel Wiggins.
The Women of Troy return to action on Friday (March 22) to take on Pepperdine. The match begins at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#19 USC 6, #18 Fresno State 1
(1) #4 Niggemeyer/Jardim (FSU) def. #8 Brymer/Peterson (USC) - 8-6
(2) #25 Loyola/Magnani (USC) def. #38 Tallo/Cariotti (FSU) - 9-8 (9-7)
(3) Diaz/Esmero (USC) def. Wiggins/Jantz (FSU) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #10 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #31 Kim Niggemeyer (FSU) - 6-4, 6-3
(2) #35 Luana Magnani (USC) def. #27 Chloe Carlotti (FSU) - 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
(3) Simone Jardim (FSU) def. #123 Maureen Diaz (USC) - 6-2, 6-3
(4) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Lucia Tallo (FSU) - 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
(5) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Chantel Wiggins (FSU) - 7-5, 6-4
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Courtney Jantyz (FSU) - 6-3, 6-1