Women Of Troy Top Pepperdine, 6-1
March 22, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Two days after defeating Fresno State, the USC women's tennis team earned an identical 6-1 victory over unranked Pepperdine thanks to the strong play of Jewel Peterson, Anita Loyola and Luana Magnani on Friday (March 22) at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, USC improves to 12-4 this season, while the Waves fall to 4-11.
The Women of Troy swept through doubles play to post the first point, then secured the match victory with wins at the No. 1, 2 and 4 positions in singles. Peterson, Magnani and Loyola only allowed a combined six game points in the three matches to put USC ahead, 4-0.
But despite the inevitable loss, Pepperdine forced the Trojans to fight for the final three points by pushing the remaining matches to a third set. USC's Maureen Diaz eventually defeated the Waves' Karin Schlapbach, 6-1, 5-7, 6-2, and Tiffany Brymer beat Monika Horvath in a 10-point tiebreaker, but Pepperdine prevailed at court six as Veronica Koksova beat Melissa Esmero, 2-6, 7-5, 6-2.
The Women of Troy return to action next week when they travel to No. 10 Arizona State on Friday, March 29, and No. 30 Arizona on Saturday, March 30.
#19 USC 6, Pepperdine 1
(1) #8 Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. Vernaz/Koksova (Pepp) - 8-2
(2) #25 Loyola/Magnani (USC) def. Horvath/Schlapbach (Pepp) - 8-5
(3) Diaz/Esmero (USC) def. Kujawska/Andersson (Pepp) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point
(1) #10 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. Charlotte Vernaz (Pepp) - 6-1, 6-0
(2) #35 Luana Magnani (USC) def. #115 Alexandra Kujawska (Pepp) - 6-1, 6-2
(3) #123 Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Karin Schlapbach (Pepp) - 6-1, 5-7, 6-2
(4) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Anna Andersson (Pepp) - 6-1, 6-1
(5) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Monika Horvath (Pepp) - 7-6, 1-6, 10-4
(6) Veronica Koksova (Pepp) def. Melissa Esmero (USC) - 2-6, 7-5, 6-2