No. 6 Men's Tennis Downs Hawaii 6-1
March 23, 2002
STANFORD, Calif. - No. 6 Stanford men's tennis extended its match winning streak to five on Saturday afternoon at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium, easily dispatching of Hawaii 6-1 in non-conference action. The Cardinal improves to 12-1 on the year, while Hawaii falls to 12-7.
The Cardinal charged out to early lead, garnering singles victories at the Nos. 1-5 positions in the lineup. Stanford's No. 4 K.J. Hippensteel (Roanoke, Va.), No. 37 David Martin (Tulsa, Okla.) and No. 57 Ryan Haviland (Aiken, S.C.) all recorded straight-set wins at the top three spots of the lineup, while No. 73 Scott Lipsky (Merrick, N.Y.) and Sam Warburg (Sacramento, Calif.) notched three-set triumphs at Nos. 4 and 5, respectively. Lincoln Leeder earned the Warrior's only point with a 7-6, 2-6, 6-7 victory over the Cardinal's Phil Sheng (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) at No. 6.
Leading 5-1 in the match, the Cardinal secured the win by taking two of three doubles matches to capture the doubles point. Stanford's No. 1 team of Haviland and Hippensteel, ranked No. 12 nationally, picked up a 6-4 decision and the No. 2 duo of Warburg and Sheng added an 8-6 win. The tandem of Joe Kao (Fullerton, Calif.) and Chris Meyer (Berkeley, Calif.) were upended at No. 3.
Stanford will be in action again on Tuesday, Mar. 27, when it faces No. 62 BYU at home at 11 a.m.
1) No. 4 K.J. Hippensteel (STAN)def. Reginaldo Moralejo (HAW) 6-3, 6-3
2) No. 37 David Martin (STAN) def. Justin Menolascino (HAW) 7-6, 6-0
3) No. 57 Ryan Haviland (STAN) def. Malino Oda (HAW) 7-5, 6-0
4) No. 73 Scott Lipsky (STAN) def. Francisco Brignole (HAW) 5-7, 7-6, 6-3
5) Sam Warburg (STAN) def. Jorge Gonzalez (HAW) 0-6, 6-1, 7-6
6) Lincoln Leeder (HAW) def. Phil Sheng (STAN) 6-7, 6-2, 7-6
1) No. 12 Haviland-Hippensteel (STAN) def. Oda-Brignole (HAW) 8-4
2) Warburg-Sheng (STAN) def. Menolascino-Moralejo (HAW) 8-6
3) Ohuchi-Gonzalez (HAW) def. Kao-Meyer (STAN) 8-6
Thu 8/24 | 7:00pm PTLive
Fri 8/25 | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 8/25 | 8:00pm PTLive