No. 5 Women's Tennis Takes Down No. 49 Harvard 6-1
March 26, 2002
STANFORD, Calif. - No. 5 Stanford women's tennis, playing in its first match back since a 5-2 victory over Arizona State on Mar. 9, extended its winning streak to eight with a 6-1 victory over No. 49 Harvard at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium on Tuesday evening.
The Cardinal (13-1) opened the match by winning the doubles point in a sweep and taking a 1-0 lead. Stanford's top senior tandem of Lauren Kalvaria (Indialantic, Fla.) and Gabriela Lastra (Reno, Nev.), ranked No. 3 nationally, defeated Harvard's Courtney Bergman and Susanna Lingman 8-3 at No. 1 doubles. Lauren Barnikow (Woodbridge, N.J.) and Erin Burdette (Jackson, Ga.) recorded an 8-0 shutout at No. 2 doubles, while Keiko Tokuda (Clifton, N.J.) and Story Tweedie-Yates (Redmond, Wash.) earned an 8-5 win at the No. 3 spot.
On the singles side, the Cardinal won five of six singles matches against Harvard (8-6) to secure the match. Kalvaria, Burdette, Tokuda and Emilia Anderson (Cincinnati, Ohio) all won their matches in straight sets, while Barnikow held on for a 5-7, 6-4, 6-3 win over Alexis Martire at No. 3.
Next up for Stanford is No. 46 Washington State (7-5), as the Cardinal travel to Pullman on Thursday to face the Cougars at 12 p.m.
1) No. 11 Lauren Kalvaria (STAN) def. Courtney Bergman (HAR) 7-5, 6-3
2) Susanna Lingman (HAR) def. No. 16 Gabriela Lastra (STAN) 6-4, 1-6, 6-1
3) No. 15 Lauren Barnikow (STAN) def. Alexis Martire (HAR) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
4) No. 24 Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Fleur Broughton (HAR) 6-0, 6-1
5) Keiko Tokuda (STAN) def. Lara Naqushbandi (HAR) 6-2, 6-1
6) Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Ashley Hyotte (HAR) 6-2, 6-2
1) No. 3 Kalvaria-Lastra (STAN) def. Bergman-Lingman (HAR) 8-3
2) No. 15 Barnikow-Burdette (STAN) def. Martire-Hyotte (HAR) 8-0
3) Tokuda-Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Sarah McGinty-Broughton (HAR) 8-5