UW Men's Tennis Blanks Saint Mary's 7-0
March 27, 2002
MORAGA, Calif. - Junior Matt Hanlin recorded his 11th consecutive singles victory Wednesday, helping the 34th-ranked Washington men's tennis team win every match en route to a 7-0 triumph at Saint Mary's Korth Tennis Complex.
The Huskies halted a two-match losing streak, improving to 14-2 overall. Saint Mary's record dropped to 6-11.
Hanlin, who is ranked 84th nationally, claimed a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Thomas Burgemeister in the No. 1 singles position. He has a 14-1 record and has not lost since Feb. 2.
Freshman Alex Vlaski won for the seventh time in his last eight outings, posting a 6-1, 6-4 No. 2 singles decision over Frank Schmitt. Vlaski is ranked No. 39 nationally.
In No. 3 singles, UW junior Ari Strasberg rallied from one set down to defeat Arturo Planell 3-6, 6-3, 6-3. Washington captured the final three singles matches in straight sets as freshman Christoph Palmanshofer prevailed 7-5, 6-4, freshman Pete Scharler was a 6-4, 6-1 victor and sophomore Nick Weiss won by a 6-2, 6-2 tally.
Washington swept all three doubles matches, including 8-1 decisions in the Nos. 1 and 2 spots. The tandem of Strasberg and Vlaski defeated Planell and Schmitt while Palmanshofer and Scharler teamed up to beat Whitlinger and Burgemeister.
The Husky duo of Scott Felsenthal and Weiss out-pointed the Gaels' Philip Laubscher and Filip Sarovic in No. 3 doubles by an 8-5 count.
The Huskies remain in the Bay Area this weekend to complete their seven-match road trip. They meet 20th-ranked California on Friday and No. 5 Stanford on Saturday.
NCAA Men's Tennis
Korth Tennis Complex, Moraga, Calif.
Mar. 27, 2002
#34 Washington 7, Saint Mary's 0
1. #84 Matt Hanlin (UW), def. Thomas Burgemeister (SMC), 6-0, 6-1
2. #39 Alex Vlaski (UW), def. Frank Schmitt (SMC), 6-1, 6-4
3. Ari Strasberg (UW), def. Arturo Planell (SMC), 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Christoph Palmanshofer (UW), def. Filip Sarovic (SMC), 7-5, 6-4
5. Pete Scharler (UW), def. J.J. Whitlinger (SMC), 6-4, 6-1
6. Nick Weiss (UW), def. Philip Laubscher (SMC), 6-2, 6-2
1. Strasberg/Vlaski (UW), def. Planell/Schmitt (SMC), 8-1
2. Palmanshofer/Scharler (UW), def. Whitlinger/Burgmeister (SMC), 8-1
3. Scott Felsenthal/Weiss (UW), def. Laubscher/Sarovic (SMC), 8-5