Men's Tennis Extinguishes Sun Devil Fire, 6-1
March 29, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- The No. 17-ranked USC men's tennis team defeated No. 32 Arizona State, 6-1, Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Trojans improve to 13-4 overall and 1-1 in Pac-10 matches. The Sun Devils fall to 8-6 overall and 1-1 in conference play.
USC started the match with doubles victories at courts one and two to earn the doubles point. Pairs Ryan Moore and Nick Rainey and Daniel Langre and Prakash Amritraj each won their matches by 8-3 scores. The Sun Devils' Pim Van Mele and Clinton Letcher defeated USC's Teige Sullivan and Damien Spizzo, 8-5, at the No. 3 spot.
With a 1-0 lead, the Trojans were quick to post the next four points with two-set wins at positions 5, 1, 3 and 2, respectively. Playing at No. 3, Amritraj clinched the USC win with his 6-4, 6-4 decision over Arizona State's Letcher. But before the match was all over, the Sun Devils captured one point as Mirza Duranovic defeated Rainey 7-5, 6-2 at court No. 4. USC's Ruben Torres was the last off the court with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Stewart at No. 6.
USC will next face No. 63 Arizona on Saturday, March 30, at noon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#18 USC 6, #32 Arizona State 1
(1) #13 Moore/Rainey (USC) def. #24 Klinger/Bowen (ASU) - 8-3
(2) Amritraj/Daniel Langre (USC) def. #41 Stewart Charroin (ASU) - 8-3
(3) Mele/Letcher (ASU) def. Spizzo/Sullivan (USC) - 8-5
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #62 Andrew Park (USC) def. #33 Matt Klinger (ASU) - 6-1, 6-4
(2) #76 Ryan Moore (USC) def. Pim Van Mele (ASU) - 6-3, 6-4
(3) #117 Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. Clinton Letcher (ASU) - 6-4, 6-4
(4) Mirza Duranovic (ASU) def. #27 Nick Rainey (USC) - 7-5, 6-2
(5) Damien Spizzo (USC) def. Mitchell Bowen (ASU) - 6-0, 6-3
(6) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Chris Stewart (ASU) - 6-3, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 5/25 | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 10:30am PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 4:00pm PTLive