No. 6 Women's Tennis Blanks No. 19 Washington 7-0
March 29, 2002
SEATTLE, Wash. - No. 6 Stanford women's tennis won its third match in a span of four days, knocking off No. 19 Washington 7-0 in Seattle on Friday afternoon. The Cardinal, which has now won 10 straight, improves to 15-1, while the Huskies are now 13-4 on the year.
The Cardinal blanked Washington State 7-0 yesterday, after downing Harvard in a non-conference match at home two days earlier.
Stanford's No. 1 team of Lauren Kalvaria (Indialantic, Fla.) and Gabriela Lastra (Reno, Nev.)- ranked No. 3 nationally- notched an 8-2 win over Washington's Colleen Gray and Dea Sumantri. In the second doubles position, No. 15 Lauren Barnikow (Woodbridge, N.J.) and Erin Burdette (Jackson, Ga.) teamed for an 8-2 victory against Claire Carter and Erin Hoe.
Stanford followed by taking all six singles matches, five in straight-sets. Tokuda's 6-4, 6-2 win over Washington's Andrea Coulter proved to be the match-winner at the No. 5 spot, while No. 11 Kalvaria, No. 16 Lastra, No. 24 Burdette and Emilia Anderson (Cincinnati, Ohio) all recorded straight-set wins. Barnikow rallied from one set down to claim a 6-7, 6-3, 6-2 decision over the Huskies' Gray at No. 3 singles.
The Cardinal will matchup against California next Wednesday at 4 p.m., kicking off the Zoom Marketing 'Stanford Spring Smash'.
1) No. 11 Lauren Kalvaria (STAN) def. No. 41 Claire Carter (WASH) 6-3, 6-1
2) No. 16 Gabriela Lastra (STAN) def. Ilona Kordonskaya (WASH) 7-6, 6-2
3) No. 15 Lauren Barnikow (STAN) def. Colleen Gray (WASH) 6-7, 6-3, 6-2
4) No. 24 Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Dea Sumantri (WASH) 6-2, 7-6 (6)
5) Keiko Tokuda (STAN) def. Andrea Coulter (WASH) 6-4, 6-2
6) Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Erin Hoe (WASH) 6-4, 6-2
1) No. 3 Kalvaria-Lastra (STAN) def. No. 59 Gray-Sumantri (WASH) 8-2
2) No. 15 Barnikow-Burdette (STAN) def. Carter-Hoe (WASH) 8-2
3) Tokuda-Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Coulter-Kordonskaya (WASH) 8-1
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 5/24 | 4:00pm PTLive
Thu 5/24 | 7:00pm PTLive