Women's Tennis Upsets No. 10 Arizona State, 5-2
March 29, 2002
Tempe, Ariz. -- The No. 16 USC women's tennis team, winners of the last 11-of-12 matches, upset No. 10-ranked Arizona State, 5-2, Friday afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe, Ariz. With the win, the Women of Troy improve to 13-4 overall and 3-0 in Pac-10 counting matches. The Sun Devils fall to 10-4 and 1-1 in conference play.
USC swept through all three doubles matches to begin the afternoon with a 1-0 lead. Pairs Anita Loyola and Luana Magnani and Maureen Diaz and Melissa Esmero won their matches at positions 2 and 3 by identical 8-3 scores, while No. 8-ranked Jewel Peterson and Tiffany Brymer defeated ASU's No. 24 Adria Engel and Dora Krstulovic, 8-5, at center court.
In singles, Peterson was the first off the court as she easily defeated 22nd-ranked Engel, 6-1, 6-1, to put the Trojans ahead 2-0. But the Sun Devils got on the board when Krstulovic earned a 6-2, 6-3 win over Magnani at No. 2. The four remaining matches were all pushed to a third set as the Women of Troy secured the match victory with a default victory by Loyola at the No. 4 spot, a come-from-behind effort by Brymer at No. 5 and a 6-3, 2-6, 6-2 win by Esmero at court six.
The Women of Troy will face No. 34 Arizona in Tucson on Saturday, March 30, at Noon before returning home.
#16 USC 5, #10 Arizona State 2
(1) #8 Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. #24 Engel/Krstulovic (ASU) - 8-5
(2) #25 Loyola/Magnani (USC) def. #42 Brown/Yeats (ASU) - 8-3
(3) Diaz/Esmero (USC) def. Burkett/Sureephong (ASU) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #10 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #22 Adria Engel (ASU) - 6-1, 6-1
(2) #55 Dora Krstulovic (ASU) def. #35 Luana Magnani (USC) - 5-7, 7-6, 11-9
(3) #78 Mhairi Brown (ASU) def. #123 Maureen Diaz (USC) - 6-2, 6-3
(4) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Cindy Sureephong (ASU) - 3-6, 7-6, Default
(5) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Joslynn Burkett (ASU) - 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Megan Yeats (ASU) - 6-3, 2-6, 6-2