Men's Tennis Drops 5-2 Decision To No. 2 UCLA
March 30, 2002
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State men's tennis team (8-7, 1-2 Pac-10) fell to second-ranked UCLA (16-1, 3-0 Pac-10), 5-2 today in Los Angeles. UCLA swept all three doubles matches for the first point, marking the first time this season that ASU did not earn at least one doubles victory.
In singles action, the Bruins quickly went up 3-0 by claiming straight set wins on the No. 2 and 3 courts. The Sun Devils did cut into the lead to 3-1 when Chris Stewart defeated Lassi Ketola on the No. 5 court also in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. However, UCLA clinched the dual on the No. 1 court when Marcin Matkowski struggled in two tiebreaker sets to defeat Matt Klinger, 7-6, 7-6. ASU would earn one more point on the No. 6 court where Olivier Charroin pulled out a three set victory over Derrick Nguyen, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.
Up next, Arizona State stays on the road in the Pac-10 when they travel to Seattle to take on the University of Washington on Friday, April 5 at 1:30 p.m.
1. Matkowski/Rojer (UCLA) def. Bowen/Klinger (ASU), 8-3
2. Grilli/Ketola (UCLA) def. Charroin/Stewart (ASU), 8-6
3. Djahangiri/Francis (UCLA) def. Letcher/Van Mele (ASU), 8-4
1. Marcin Matkowski (UCLA) def. Matt Klinger (ASU), 7-6, 7-6
2. Jean-Julien Rojer (UCLA) def. Pim Van Mele (ASU), 6-0, 6-2
3. Rodrido Grilli (UCLA) def. Clinton Letcher (ASU), 6-4, 6-0
4. Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA) def. Mirza Duranovic (ASU), 7-6, 6-2
5. Chris Stewart (ASU) def. Lassi Ketola (UCLA), 6-3, 6-3
6. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Derrick Nguyen (UCLA), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3