No. 4 Women's Tennis Blanks No. 21 California 7-0
April 3, 2002
STANFORD, Calif. - No. 4 Stanford women's tennis opened its 'Spring Smash Weekend' in fine fashion on Wednesday evening, extending its winning streak to 11 with a 7-0 shutout victory against No. 21 California. The Cardinal, which also shutout Cal on Feb. 23, improves to 16-1 on the year, while the Golden Bears drop to 10-5 overall.
Stanford, which remains undefeated against Pac-10 competition at 7-0, recorded its seventh shutout in its last 11 games. The Cardinal captured the doubles point and took a 1-0 lead in the match, winning at all three positions. At No. 1 doubles, seniors Lauren Kalvaria (Indialantic, Fla.) and Gabriela Lastra (Reno, Nev.) outdueled Cal's top team of Raquel Kops-Jones and Jody Scheldt 8-3. The nation's 15th-ranked tandem of Lauren Barnikow (Woodbridge, N.J.) and Erin Burdette (Jackson , Ga.) registered an 8-5 win at No. 2, while Keiko Tokuda (Clifton, N.J.) and Story Tweedie-Yates (Redmond, Wash.) hung on for a 9-7 victory at No. 3.
In singles competition, the Cardinal swept all six matches- five of which were straight-set wins. The bottom of the singles lineup continues to be the story for Stanford, as Tokuda downed Cal's Jody Scheldt 6-2, 6-3 at No. 5 for her 11th straight victory, and No. 24 Burdette and Emilia Anderson (Cincinnati, Ohio) both increased their personal winning streaks to 10 consecutive matches. Burdette earned a 7-5, 6-3 win at No. 4, while Anderson scored a 6-1, 6-3 triumph at No. 6.
No. 10 Kalvaria improved to 16-4 overall with a 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 1 singles, while No. 18 Lastra and No. 14 Barnikow chipped in with singles victories at Nos. 2 and 3, respectively.
The Cardinal will continue the 'Stanford Spring Smash Weekend' on Friday at 1:30 p.m., when it takes on No. 13 USC at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
1) No. 10 Lauren Kalvaria (STAN) def. No. 36 Raquel Kops-Jones (CAL) 6-1, 6-4
2) No. 18 Gabriela Lastra (STAN) def. No. 73 Catherine Lynch (CAL) 6-1, 6-1
3) No. 14 Lauren Barnikow (STAN) def. No. 71 Jieun Jacobs (CAL) 7-6, 1-6, 6-2
4) No. 24 Erin Burdette (STAN) def. No. 60 Christina Fusano (CAL) 7-5, 6-3
5) Keiko Tokuda (STAN) def. Jody Scheldt (CAL) 6-2, 6-3
6) Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Carla Arguellas (CAL) 6-1, 6-3
1) No. 3 Kalvaria-Lastra (STAN) def. No. 44 Kops-Jones-Scheldt (CAL) 8-3
2) No. 15 Barnikow-Burdette (STAN) def. Fusano-Jacobs (CAL) 8-5
3) Tokuda-Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Lynch-Argulles (CAL ) 9-7
Wed 10/26 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 2:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 5:00pm PTLive